FAQ  •  Login

Tesla Model 3. Your opinion?

<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Tesla Model 3. Your opinion?

so for those who didn't know about it, tesla just did a revealing of their latest Model 3 yesterday. 31st march 2016.

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-this-is-it-1768284734

so i wanted to ask you, your opinion about the car, (NOT OPINION ABOUT EV! I don't want to make it into a debate here.),

here's a couple point that i noticed:
- i just can't unsee the front as a grille-less aston martin lookalike with porsche-like headlights
- where they cut corners and keep the production cost down is REALLY apparent. single piece, flat and long dashboard and this, minimal parts in the center console.
super simplistic, maybe over simplistic design both in and outside.
- it seems that they have 3 rims to offer, if you watched the revealing stream/video
(so for those who didn't know about it, tesla just did a revealing of their latest Model 3 yesterday. 31st march 2016.
http://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-this-is-it-1768284734

so i wanted to ask you, your opinion about the car, (NOT OPINION ABOUT EV! I don't want to make it into a debate here.),

here's a couple point that i noticed:
- i just can't unsee the front as a grille-less aston martin lookalike
- where they cut corners and keep the production cost down is REALLY apparent. single piece, flat and long dashboard. super simplistic, maybe over simplistic design both in and outside.
- it seems that they have 3 rims to offer, if you watched the revealing video (http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11334346/tesla-model-3-unveil-part-1-of-2-elon-musk)
the one on the red car: BLUEGH,
the silver car: NEAT!,
the black one: GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME
- the back is, rather 'meh'
- DAT STEERING WHEEL DOE! i thought the straight bi-spoke steering wheel fashion died decades ago.
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: Tesla Model 3. Your opinion?

Meh.

Would rather a Model S. The Model 3 doesn't look like a real car (lack of a front grill kills the vibe.)
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:06 pm

It looks fantastic, apart from the front, which looks unfinished. It just needs something there to focus on rather than looking like some aerodynamic race prototype. Interior is very simple, but I think that's the point. Looks like everything is controlled via that touchscreen, which is nice. It's also properly sized.

However, £35k price tag is good. That will finally bring Tesla close to being affordable (ish). In Britain, we have a £5000 government subsidy for low emissions vehicles, meaning that an entry level Model 3 would be £30k, the same as a mid-range 3 series or A4.
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:45 pm

That front shape indeed. Is the height of the rise and the flat surface mandated by crash protection standards or something? Surely they could have used a slightly more rounded profile.

The car itself seems promising, provided build quality is up to snuff. Regardless of whether we're talking "entry level" here, it's still on the upper side of the price range for your average consumer.

My main concern about Tesla, which I think is the main question most industry pundits have, is its ability to maintain its rapid growth in terms of market share and production capability. There's already rumblings about their ability to maintain their service and customer relations infrastructure, though it's hard for me as a casual observer to say whether this is truth or conjecture from haters.
<<

rcracer11m

Cars: oldsmobile alero

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:51 pm

I quite like the look of the car but it does seem weird how they have a section on the front that looks like its where a grill is supposed to be but the they didnt put one there. It would still be beneficial to the power as motor temperature limits how aggressive the settings it runs on can be although they may have done this as it gives them better economy by not having that grill.

The interior is very simplistic but the only thing i find strange about it is the fact that there are no gauges although they may have a HUD on the windshield.
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Well at least it's smaller than the S. I would personally never consider buying a car that big so a smaller model is nice. The styling has some interesting ideas but I don't think it's exactly beautiful.

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:15 am

For 35K, it's a great car. Except the interior. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of not having an instrument cluster. I hope it's not finalized just yet.
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

koolkei

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:28 am

no they say that it's not. but they also did say, it's 'production design' prototype, so i expect it to be very much in the finalization stage and won't change much.

but then again, it's musk we're talking, he could suddenly demand an unreasonable changes to the car and he will get it.
<<

SkylineFTW97

Cars: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:37 am

I just hope they didn't do what they did with the Model X, and waste time on features that are just too gimmicky for lots of comsumers (yes, they did get the falcon doors to work properly, but what benefit is there to having a door that needs sonar to open properly? Just seems like an extra repair bill to me). Instead of making something where it's styling is so love it or hate it where it turns a lot of consumers off, they should prove that electric cars can be just as practical as normal cars. And, in my opinion, giant dashboard screens and falcon doors don't really help them accomplish that. I do want Tesla to do well, but I lose a bit of hope whenever they pull stunts like that.
Drew Motor Vehicles
Company ID: #1938042
<<

koolkei

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:58 am

i partly agree. although it's an electric car, so it still has less bills to pay to keep it running, but i agree the extra uneccessary falcon wing doors (looks cool though.) are an uneeded extra bills. then again it's a luxury car, nobody NEEDS a luxury car, they WANT it.
and the dashboard screens are, i think a cost cutting way actually. since unlike other manufacturers, they produce and design most their everything in-house. by designing less hardware, i mean knobs and buttons and such. a multifunctioning center console is easier to design around since they only have to design 1 hardware, and whatever changes they need to do, they can do it by software, which is kind of another advantage.

but the model 3....... not even the speedometers and such are in front of the driver, just purely center screen console. on 1 side, it may give slightly improved visibility, on the other side, it requires the drivers to turn their heads if they want to look that such data. not really sure how i feel about that tbh
<<

SkylineFTW97

Cars: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:10 am

You have a point about the center screen. But, center gauges are something I personally can't stand (not like I could afford one anyway, but not like that'll stop me from arbitrarily nitpicking this thing, or anything else!). And I personally can't stand style for style's sake, but that's just me.
Drew Motor Vehicles
Company ID: #1938042
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:00 am

The thing about the model 3 is, it's built to be an autonomous car that you can occasionally drive. All models have all the semi-auto gadgetry, which means the car is just a software update (and a legal agreement) away from being fully autonomous. Now, in that scenario, a big center screen, no dials and a simplified dashboard layout makes a lot of sense, if you are just there to watch a movie or something, while the car moves itself. Another thing is, this way, they managed to remove one centre of information, be it behind the wheel dials or a screen, which saves them money, and they can have the same massive screen people expect in a tesla.

About the design, it looks like a Model S that's been shrunk by 20% and gotten the Model X front. Maybe the grille-less theme, already seen in the model X, is just there to show people this is a different car by removing that important element. I'm not too keen on that, and I wish they had innovated on the rear design, but it's actually better than I was expecting. And certainly better than the Chevy Bolt.
<<

koolkei

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:25 am

well it is a cheaper car, i wouldn't be surprised if it at least shared some parts with the other model, you know, as common as that is in the car industry. although it doesn't look like that's the case exterior-wise
<<

CadillacDave

Cars: 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:04 am

I personally think it looks like a Chinese knockoff car, the wheels and paint really do not do it any favours (talking about the Orange/Red one)

Return to Off Topic