FAQ  •  Login

new track calculation load time

<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:17 pm

new track calculation load time

not a bug.

the new track calculation are neat and stuff but, how is it actually calculated?
what i've been experiencing is, the calculation time are long, and stupid long if the track is also stupid long.

i mean 2mins+ for just 1 time calculation in the green hell. even on the automation test track it takes about 10 secs.

is it calculated using only a single processor thread? if it does.... then i'm pretty screwed

running it on a 4yo amd laptop doesnt help either

btw my specs are
AMD A6-3420m (amd first APU, 2 modules, 4 cores@ 1.5Ghz) with 4GB RAM
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: new track calculation load time

Processor and memory are slowing you down. My laptop is slower on the current open-beta with a faster processor and more RAM than you have, but my desktop barely notices any difference. The difference is 4 years of advancement. It's only going to get worse, more than likely.
<<

koolkei

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:31 pm

yeah upgrading the RAM? not gonna happen. it's too old for a laptop, not worth it.

well then im screwed either way..... tuning a car for speed? 6 hours thx.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Well, my laptop is an i5-2450m(dual-core-4 cpus@2.4GHz) with HD3000 gfx chip and 6GB of RAM. My desktop, on the other hand, is an i7-4790 (quad-core-8cpus@3.6GHz) with 16GB of RAM and a 960GTX dedicated card with 4GB of VRAM. My graphics card alone matches your RAM (but of course it is a desktop, right?), and is actually a lower standard than most gaming rigs. Even though this doesn't seem like an intense game for a computer, it really kind of is. Not crazy intense with graphics (like Call of Duty or the like), but with background mathematical calculations. Think the results page recalculated for every meter of track you're running for track calculations. Overly simplified, but you get the idea. That being said, there definitely is a difference between public and open beta for track calculations.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:44 pm

koolkei wrote:not a bug.
btw my specs are
AMD A6-3420m (amd first APU, 2 modules, 4 cores@ 1.5Ghz) with 4GB RAM

Correction, A6-3420M is not a module based CPU, as it is actually a K13 which is a Stars, you got 4 real cores there boy, not any fake ones.
Second, 4gb of memory, isn't your limiting factor, as Automation is 32-bit

If you are willing to get tricky, I can show ya how to pull some more power out of your APU. But you will need to upgrade the cooling.

Did a little testing:

1.4ghz @ 1.075v Game is a little sluggish, calc times for track takes a while.
2.3ghz @ 1.075v Game runs considerable smoother, calc times for test track much lower. Temps very acceptable @ 56c

Heat goes up quite alot, inless you can either modify the fan profile, OR, modify the cooling. I can help you with the latter.
ID: 1963886
<<

koolkei

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:34 am

well. i've only tried 2.0Ghz but both overclocked and undervolted. never tried much more, because when the fan get even a little bit dirty 80C+ is not rare

also bare in mind. im in a tropical country which means more dust+ higher ambient temp= lower overall cooling capacity.

and... what do you mean modify the cooling? also 1 more thing, what are you using for OC?
k10stat?
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:37 am

It's taking a while for me too, my frankenRig is by no means a gaming rig but it should have enough power for this.
3.3Ghz Fx-6100 6 core
16gig ddr3
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:43 am

I always thought my PC's performance was commensurate with the load times required for all the calculations in Automation. It was fairly on par with mid-high end gaming rigs when I built it nearly 2 years ago, but... that was 2 years ago. For reference:

Win7 64-bit (not upgrading to 10 yet, partially because of the Automation bugs reported and I'd be very sad to be without my quarter hour of Automation fix a day :P )
Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
8gig ddr3 (yeah, I never got around to putting more in)
My PC is mainly limited by the fact I'd rather not switch to solid state drives yet because I'm skeptical about their durability (though feel free to update me on this if you think differently).

It'll take me about 2 seconds to calculate times on AT test track, and maybe 15-20 for Green Hell (less on subsequent calculations). Yes, it does make tuning for speed a bit harder, but that's something I'm prepared to accept for the sake of having much more refined calculations.
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:11 am

strop wrote:My PC is mainly limited by the fact I'd rather not switch to solid state drives yet because I'm skeptical about their durability (though feel free to update me on this if you think differently).

I've been running twin Crucal M4 256gb SSDs now since 2012, I have well into the 30 terrabyte of re-writeing done to these things, and they are still just as fast.
Modern SSDs are tough, just buy a good one.

koolkei wrote:well. i've only tried 2.0Ghz but both overclocked and undervolted. never tried much more, because when the fan get even a little bit dirty 80C+ is not rare

also bare in mind. im in a tropical country which means more dust+ higher ambient temp= lower overall cooling capacity.

and... what do you mean modify the cooling? also 1 more thing, what are you using for OC?
k10stat?

Yes, K10stat is the best way to modify the P-States on these chips.

For starters, we need to identify if your laptop is as 'open' as mine is, I have a Lenovo Z575, with 8 screws I have access to the entire motherboard.

I have re-seated the heatsink using Arctic MX-2 thermal compound, I have further opened the intake slots on the bottom of the case using a dermal, and when I was really messing around with it, I made a shroud for the exhaust using construction paper, and affixed a 80mm desktop fan to it to draw even more air through the exhaust port, I took an extra USB cable, chopped the female end off and soldered the fan directly to the 5v and GND. Makes for very quiet and much cooler operation.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:27 pm

strop wrote:I always thought my PC's performance was commensurate with the load times required for all the calculations in Automation. It was fairly on par with mid-high end gaming rigs when I built it nearly 2 years ago, but... that was 2 years ago. For reference:

Win7 64-bit (not upgrading to 10 yet, partially because of the Automation bugs reported and I'd be very sad to be without my quarter hour of Automation fix a day :P )
Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
8gig ddr3 (yeah, I never got around to putting more in)
My PC is mainly limited by the fact I'd rather not switch to solid state drives yet because I'm skeptical about their durability (though feel free to update me on this if you think differently).

It'll take me about 2 seconds to calculate times on AT test track, and maybe 15-20 for Green Hell (less on subsequent calculations). Yes, it does make tuning for speed a bit harder, but that's something I'm prepared to accept for the sake of having much more refined calculations.

Just an FYI I have an Intel 320 SSD 120GB (launched in 2011) and it has lasted longer than 2 spinners (normal HDDs) and is showing no signs of wear or anything negative. I only have Windows installed on it and everything else is on the spinners (page file as well) so my system would be classified as a hybrid, keeps the usage of the SSD down but you get the benefits of its speed (mostly at boot). I just replaced the HDD in my old HP Pavilion 1245DX with an SSD and HOLY CRAP does that thing scoot now, boots in about 15-20 seconds while the old HDD would take over 2-3 mins of crunching till you could use the laptop without delays in menus opening. Until the prices come down on SSDs to the point where it will be my only storage media I am going to stick with the hybrid system and just swap out HDDs every 2-4 years, I am due for a new one again since this one is making more and more noise. Intel Toolbox is showing about 97% life remaining on the SSD.
<<

koolkei

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:08 am

Lordred wrote:Yes, K10stat is the best way to modify the P-States on these chips.

For starters, we need to identify if your laptop is as 'open' as mine is, I have a Lenovo Z575, with 8 screws I have access to the entire motherboard.

I have re-seated the heatsink using Arctic MX-2 thermal compound, I have further opened the intake slots on the bottom of the case using a dermal, and when I was really messing around with it, I made a shroud for the exhaust using construction paper, and affixed a 80mm desktop fan to it to draw even more air through the exhaust port, I took an extra USB cable, chopped the female end off and soldered the fan directly to the 5v and GND. Makes for very quiet and much cooler operation.

well... to put it simply, you're boosting the air intakes?

and mine is an asus k43tk. i've taken apart mine before, and yours seems to be the one that are easy to open and maintain.

that said, the ram cover are quite close to the fan itself, like right beside it. but opening it= more dusts. tried that. not worth it when im not on OC.

(k10stats are a bit of a hassle to start tho.)
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Proof of concept.

Parts needed:
1) One 80, 90, or 120mm low amperage draw desktop fan.
2) 9v battery
3) 3-pin fan header (male)
4) Electrical tape
5) Scotch tape
6) High density paper.
7) Scissors.

Step 1:
Create a shroud for the laptop exhaust port using the paper.

Step 2:
Affix fan to shroud.

Step 3:
Affix 3-pin header to 9v battery, you only need the Positive and Ground.

Step 4:
Profit, your laptop (depending on conditions) will run several degrees cooler under load due to extra heat extraction.

Silly picture time.

<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:52 pm

That certainly beats my 3 120s zip tied to my old graphics card to limp it along, sounded like a 747 on takeoff. Those "Windforce" fans (three small "quiet" fans) are REALLY crappy, bearings burn out and the fans eventually stall and you really dont notice it until it cooks the GPU.

How long does that 9v last?
<<

koolkei

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:21 pm

lol that looks derpy as hell... but as long as it works, it's worth it :)

problem. my position and my table are at a corner of a room. pic soon-ish. im lazy
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:55 am

Calculated run time is ~30min on a 300mA fan

Return to Support