FAQ  •  Login

Release [B151208+] Bug Reports

<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 am

Re: Open Beta [B151127+] Bug Reports

KLinardo wrote:I got it while testing on the Tulsa Drag Strip. I'm not home right now, but I can upload it later. It's a challenge built car so I don't want to upload it to this thread. Is a PM ok?

Sure, sending by PM is perfectly fine. Please send along the link to the test track too. :)
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:22 pm

thecarlover wrote:
Trifler wrote:
Saturns have been mentioned several times. They were inexpensive cars and produced in fairly large numbers. Admittedly they're the only ones I know of, but it means others could if they chose to. The ability to brush off impacts that would dent metals was a nice feature. I also liked having an option that had a prestige penalty applied to it in exchange for being light and not expensive. Right now, Aluminum appears the closest to the old Polymer, but it adds prestige.

Was the old Polymer overpowered? Probably, but the current options don't really allow for Saturn-like cars. They emphasize high-end cars. Just using steel for almost everything is rather boring. Maybe if Fiberglass shifted its emphasis on Production Units over to tooling instead, then it would be better. At least then it would be a fixed cost.

Also, I did some web searching, and according to this article http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?do ... ayout=blog, Corvettes used Fiberglass, but the Saturns used higher concentration of plastic and fewer fibers. The article states they used a blend of polycarbonate and ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene). The result was a panel that bent like a Rubbermaid trash can, rather than cracking like traditional Fiberglass. In the end they stopped primarily because they didn't like the wider gaps that were necessary in the door frames and hood. I also just called the service center at a car dealer and talked to a guy who said he has experience working on Saturns. He said if you touch the panels on a Saturn, it doesn't feel the same as traditional Fiberglass at all. He said that even if both are a fiber composite, he wouldn't call it Fiberglass simply because they're not the same.

Based on that article, polymer panels could be cheap and lightweight, but have slightly higher production units than steel, and less prestige from those panel gaps that are mentioned.

Indeed. That's what I got from it as well.
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:18 am

Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I just noticed that the thumbnail for the 1946 Porsche-356-esque body doesn't list the wheelbase.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 am

I know that the subject of polymer panels being OP (or not) was beaten to death on the IRC.

One of the issues many have with it was that it's weight vs cost, although with the addition of the markets, a lot of the lower end demographics seemed to prefer steel cars. Probably due to the better safety, lower costs and otherwise still decent stats when it came to boring cars.

IMHO I think the best solution is to wait to see how well the current situation ends up working in the end, when the tycoon starts being implemented. And I personally think that adding more depth to the materials that we have is the best approach.

One thing for sure is that polymer was seriously overused compared to it's usage in real life.

Edit:

Trifler wrote:Was the old Polymer overpowered? Probably, but the current options don't really allow for Saturn-like cars. They emphasize high-end cars. Just using steel for almost everything is rather boring. Maybe if Fiberglass shifted its emphasis on Production Units over to tooling instead, then it would be better. At least then it would be a fixed cost.

AFAIK this is the plan, and not just for Fiberglass but for many of the other materials.

You would have more artisanal ways of doing things, which require less expensive tooling but more PUs, and more automated ways of doing things like SMC in the case of fiberglass.

It's just that these options haven't really been implemented yet.
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am

The frames don't line up to the rear suspension anymore. The suspension is in the right place, but the arches are too far forward, regardless of the body or type of frame and suspension used. The rear wheels on any car are also positioned higher than the front ones.

Edit: Also noticed that the rear wheels are too far back on the new 1946 coupe/convertible body and don't line up with the fenders.

Edit 2: Making a car in 1960, I only have "standard 50s" as a safety option.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:44 pm

TrackpadUser wrote:I know that the subject of polymer panels being OP (or not) was beaten to death on the IRC.

One of the issues many have with it was that it's weight vs cost, although with the addition of the markets, a lot of the lower end demographics seemed to prefer steel cars. Probably due to the better safety, lower costs and otherwise still decent stats when it came to boring cars.

IMHO I think the best solution is to wait to see how well the current situation ends up working in the end, when the tycoon starts being implemented. And I personally think that adding more depth to the materials that we have is the best approach.

One thing for sure is that polymer was seriously overused compared to it's usage in real life.

Edit:

Trifler wrote:Was the old Polymer overpowered? Probably, but the current options don't really allow for Saturn-like cars. They emphasize high-end cars. Just using steel for almost everything is rather boring. Maybe if Fiberglass shifted its emphasis on Production Units over to tooling instead, then it would be better. At least then it would be a fixed cost.

AFAIK this is the plan, and not just for Fiberglass but for many of the other materials.

You would have more artisanal ways of doing things, which require less expensive tooling but more PUs, and more automated ways of doing things like SMC in the case of fiberglass.

It's just that these options haven't really been implemented yet.

According to Killrob a few posts back, that has *already* been implemented, hence everything I said as well as the quote you included. If he had said it is in the works, I would have just been like, "ok cool".

Killrob wrote:That should be missing, aluminium panels and fiberglass have a new mechanic to them, their production technique becomes more automated over the years, so your new "polymer" is fiberglass in modern days, SMC one would call it.
<<

Killrob

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:06 am

Play around a bit with the modern fiberglass (i.e. SMC) option. It does have the limited production flag, but before you complain, try out how that affects production (factory car output). What isn't in yet is the decreasing of production units with increased automation, that is something we will add in the next subproject.
<<

Killrob

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:50 pm

New update is out, updated the OP with the changelog. :)
<<

RevPJ

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '74 Triumph Spitfire, '69 Cadillac Funeral Coach, '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Spyder

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:17 pm

After this latest update the game won't load at all for me. I get the following error:

Fatal Error while loading init.lua:[string
"--SANDBOX_DATA\CCarCalculator_IO.lua...":215:attempt to index
field 'CarViewInfo' (a nil value)
<<

ohm1996

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2010 Honda Accord, 2011 Isuzu D-Max, 2011 Mercedes-Benz E250 CGI and 2013 Isuzu MU-X (actually, my mother drive these)

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Currently, I can't choose my desired demographics, as it always fixed at the highest competitiveness of the demographics, even competitiveness rate has changed, it still fixed at the original demographics
For example, I want to change from the Hypercar to Luxury Car, or Sport Utility to Family Utility demographics, but it wasn't changeable, unlike current public release (151002) that I can choose my desired demographics.
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Killrob wrote:Play around a bit with the modern fiberglass (i.e. SMC) option. It does have the limited production flag, but before you complain, try out how that affects production (factory car output). What isn't in yet is the decreasing of production units with increased automation, that is something we will add in the next subproject.

All right. PU's were a big part of my concern, so that's good to know.
<<

Killrob

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:00 pm

RevPJ wrote:After this latest update the game won't load at all for me. I get the following error:

Does the game load when you move your Cars and Engines folders away from Documents\My Games\Automation? If so, could you zip them up and send us a zip with a reference to your post here to contact@camshaftsoftware.com please?
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Some little items:

- Not sure if this is an unknown or not, but in the first tab of the Engine Designer, under Head and Valves, the text colors for Tooling Cost are backwards.

- It looks like Gear Ratios is listed twice under the Utility tab of the Detailed Stats.

- On the large 1940 car (2.60m/102.3"), the wagon has 5 doors, but the trim only allows 2 seats.
<<

8bs

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Killrob wrote:
RevPJ wrote:After this latest update the game won't load at all for me. I get the following error:

Does the game load when you move your Cars and Engines folders away from Documents\My Games\Automation? If so, could you zip them up and send us a zip with a reference to your post here to contact@camshaftsoftware.com please?

Hi Killrob!

I have the same problem. If i remove only the trims from the game folder, the game loads without error.

I'm trying to figure which trims create the error. It seems to be certain trims only...

EDIT: I moved all the wanted trims to the folder again, and the game works. It seems that there are some "older/not used" files in the trims folder that create the error...
<<

Ramrod126

Cars: 1999 Mazda Protege

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:24 am

I had the same error as RevPJ and moving the cars and trims folders fixed it for me. Not a big deal for me since I am still only building disposable cars.
PreviousNext

Return to Support