FAQ  •  Login

Workshop issues

<<

Ikarus

Cars: Depends!

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:07 am

Workshop issues

Good day,
I've ran into a bit of problems, and you might steer me towards the right way (atleast i hope so).

Althrough there are no "real" brands or "real" body shapes in the game, i made very close copy of real world car model.
Thus i wanted to share it on the Steam workshop with all the people who are currently playing the game and are real life car enthusiasts as me.
I couldnt find any information about "How to extract car model from Automation and upload it to Workshop" (note: Googling it didnt come out as successful as i was hoping for, nor contacting people who successfully uploaded their cars).
I might be dumb as a box of rocks, but i cant find any real simple tutorial.
Ingame, there is big shiny "Export" button that exports something. I downloaded a... Workshop tool, successfully grabbed exported file, added description, name and pic, chosen according things i want to upload (body, spoilers, grilles..etc) and uploaded it. However i managed to fail again, somewhere, because uploaded car doesnt show up in game (when you add it in your game via workshop).

I'm literally hopeless.

Can someone briefly describe "How-to" upload car body (with accessories) to the workshop?

I'm not sure if someone asked this before me, if so, I'm sorry in advance.
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 am

Re: Workshop issues

Well, here in the forums we have a "sharing car subformum" ---> viewforum.php?f=35 where you can share your creation, even share the zip if you want. Also there is a car replica thread --> viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3075 for you to share your real world car model.

There is also a engine sharing subforum --> viewforum.php?f=34 and a engine recreation thread--- > viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3711

I (and I'm pretty sure a lot of the forum users) encourage you to upload your car or engines here in the forums instead of the workshop, because the structure of the workshop isn't really for uploading engines or cars (you can't use them as you already know) and the purpose of the workshop is to share mods (car bodies, fixtures, companies for the markets calculations...) you can read about it here ---> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9206&p=95834&hilit=mentality+of+people#p95828

That said, there is a workaround to your specifically problem. After you downloaded a engine or a car, you need to go to steam, right-click Automation > properties > local > browse local files. Then in the explorer go to game data. You need to fin the folder of the mod you installed (e.g. "467556871_Pyrlix90sSedan") and copy the folders inside (Model and trim, or engine and variant) to the folder where your cars or your engines are saved (my documents\my games\automation).

I hope you upload your car here instead of the workshop, and welcome to the forums, good luck!
<<

Ikarus

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:41 am

Very much helpful, i really appreciate that.
I was talking about the car body as "car model". Neverthanless, it's still helpful enough.
Thank you!
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:55 am

That's what I mean, the way the workshop works it is meant for sharing car bodies not car models.
Ikarus wrote: I downloaded a... Workshop tool, successfully grabbed exported file, added description, name and pic, chosen according things i want to upload (body, spoilers, grilles..etc) and uploaded it. However i managed to fail again, somewhere, because uploaded car doesnt show up in game (when you add it in your game via workshop).

That's the correct process, but again, it won't show in-game because when you subscribe for something in the workshop it will be downloaded as a mod, not as a car model. You have the workaround I told you, but other than that, there is no way to share a car in the workshop on a way that it appears in-game.
When you upload the zip file in the forums, it's easier, because you just download file and palce it in mydocuments\my games\automation\import and the game automatically will show the car in-game.
<<

Ikarus

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:21 am

Sillyworld wrote: When you upload the zip file in the forums, it's easier, because you just download file and palce it in mydocuments\my games\automation\import and the game automatically will show the car in-game.

I will try that with forgotten zip'ed car i tried to do miracles with, i hope it will work..

Return to Developer Questions