FAQ  •  Login

i know it's far off, but what about the DLC?

<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:31 pm

i know it's far off, but what about the DLC?

so i know it's still at least a year away, but all i can say is that time flies, so my question is for DLC what would it specifically be, would it be likeminipacks where it is like "diesel DLC" "wankel DLC" and so on, or would it be more like just added engines packs where you get one pack with diesel, wankel, etc (example) and another pack with hubrids and electric and so on, and what would prices be, because if they are just like the "diesel DLC" i couldnt see you guys charging over 99 cents for it versus engine packs where a 2.99 price would be justifiable, also would you guys get DLC happy and turn into cod where it is like "slightly different shade of magenta engine cover DLC just 99 cents", because if that happened i can see you'd get a lot of hate.
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: i know it's far off, but what about the DLC?

No idea really. All we know is that Diesels are not part of the core plan for Automation 1.0. We'd probably do some big pack of new engine types for a few bucks I guess? We'll worry about that once Automation is done though.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:49 pm

We definitely won't be able to charge as little as you mention because it is just not feasible for us, if you haven't already please take a look at this video:
https://youtu.be/P4S6L-kMev0
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure DLCs take at least some effort to put together, so it would only make sense if they were used for major engineering features that weren't designated part of the core game. It also does take a fair bit of development to create a new engine layout, let alone type (not just a boolean string lol), but how such things would be bundled depends on how much in the way of resourced and "production units" the team has to devote to such.

Also, if anybody is ever concerned about the pace of development of this game, you should check out Overgrowth :P 7+ years, 200+ alpha updates, and no developer generated campaign. The modding tools keep the hardcore fans happy but progressively alienate anybody else who simply wishes to consume over having to spend effort creating to do so.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 am

I would happily plop down 15-30 for an EXPANSION (notice the bold there? Yeah, no DLC but full blown expansions) depending on what it contains (diesel? Sure, $15 is worth it IMO).
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 am

BlastersPewPew wrote:I would happily plop down 15-30 for an EXPANSION (notice the bold there? Yeah, no DLC but full blown expansions) depending on what it contains (diesel? Sure, $15 is worth it IMO).

I don't understand why people need to make a distinction between DLC and Expansion packs, since they are both the same thing, just distributed differently.

DLC got a bad name due to EA and other companies abusing it with day1 DLC and small content packs.

Anyway, the one thing I'd like to add on the topic of DLC is that IMHO, the strategy used by Paradox Interactive and Overkill software is a great way to do things. Releasing 5-15$ DLC once in a while to fund continued developpment of the game.

Still, it's a bit early to talk about that isn't it :lol:
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:11 pm

TrackpadUser wrote:Still, it's a bit early to talk about that isn't it :lol:

well as i said, you'd be surprised how time flies
<<

chema1994

Cars: Nothing yet :(

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:25 pm

I hope they can manage to do well with the game so we can get more content in the future.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 am

TrackpadUser wrote:I don't understand why people need to make a distinction between DLC and Expansion packs, since they are both the same thing, just distributed differently.

DLC got a bad name due to EA and other companies abusing it with day1 DLC and small content packs.

And that is the exact reason why I differentiate between the two, DLCs have been tarnished by EA (at least in my head, I wont purchase anything from them anymore after the Sim City fiasco but that is a whole other deal). In my head DLC means milking the cash cow while Expansion means the devs want to give you more to play around with. It is just the way I think but I am also an "old school" gamer so Expansion packs have always meant a lot of new content and features while DLC means "oh look, shiny!".
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:15 am

What I mean is, the term DLC got tarnished due to scumbaggery and bad use of it.

But its the exact same thing as expansion packs, just delivered through online services.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:24 am

TrackpadUser wrote:What I mean is, the term DLC got tarnished due to scumbaggery and bad use of it.

But its the exact same thing as expansion packs, just delivered through online services.

unless the devs feel like making physical copies for a $5 markup lol, but honestly if they ever made a boxed copy of automation i'd buy it just to add to my collection

Return to Developer Questions