<<

LilRedRhyder

Cars: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Manual
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Post Fri May 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Rev Limiters, Top speed flexibility

Made quick put together of GT6's Special Route X.
The 30~km test track with a 65 meter hill climb and descend on one straight.
It's my first track and I'm sure it isn't perfect.
It's shown an interesting glitch in the test track system.

If your vehicle reaches is maximum speed coming down the other side of the hill, it will apply full brakes and stop accelerating, but the engine will continue to increase in revs, even if there are more gears it won't shift and then when the car levels out at the bottom, it screams along at thousands of RPM above redline, but still at it's max speed, with full brakes applied.

The whole point of the track in GT6 is to test top speed, stability at high speed in banked corners and whether or not the transmission is geared correctly for hill climbing. So I thought it would be interesting.

So I guess what I'm wondering/bringing up is that, while the vehicle is often aerodynamically limited in top speed, would not the downward slope allow for a temporarily higher top speed? Max RPM limitations not withstanding, of course. And after levelling off the car would slow back to it's top speed due to insufficient power to overcome the drag.

As for the rev limiter question. Obviously one exists as it bounces in the engine builder. Obviously the calculations and functions are different, builder to builder and tester to tester... I'm curious why the rev limiter does not come into effect in test track modes... It's not just my track either it comes up frequently passing through The Slingshot and progressing through Sonory Roar on the Automation track.

And then you can blend the two issues together. For instance. The LuxoBarge Scenario, the car I created has a 3 speed auto, and an aerodynamically limited top speed of 217.9 km/h, which it reaches in the high end of second gear. Third gear is purely to get brownie points in the luxury department. As said barge crests the hill at roughly 205 km/h and begins her descent she accelerates back to her flat ground limit of 217.9 and stays there, brakes full on and the engine continues to rev... right past her 4,900 rpm redline... and then past 5,500... all the while in second and still doing 217.9 km/h... So I'm not shifting to the next gear, I'm well over red line, and the revs don't match the wheel speed...

Now on this carbed V8 I don't actually expect a rev limiter because such a thing would require either some form of computer control or and least fuel injector shut off. But if it's anything like my hyundai pony, the transmission wont hold onto a gear past it's preset limit unless you command it to with the gear lever lockout. Give her a little kick and she'll gladly wind her little 4G33 past it's 5,900 rpm redline, as there is nothing to stop it from happening.

But then if I take a more modern car, for instance from the Curry Scenario, with fuel injection and a computer and such, there's should definitely be some kind of fuel cutoff, or at least an upshift, but the situation is the same... as she reaches her top speed she caps off at 179, and the rpm climbs right past the 6,600 rpm red line and onwards past 8,000 despite still being at 179, and then she stays there (at 8,000) rpm the whole rest of the track (With her brakes full on!), which has highly banked corners and no elevation change aside from that one hill.

Sorry for the wall of text, or if it sounds belligerent or commanding. Just trying to be thorough in my observation and explanation. It's probably not really anything important. I just thought it was an interesting point to bring up for some future bug tackling con fab :3

I'd be happy to provide vehicle and track files at anyone's request.

Truly,
Tex
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Sat May 30, 2015 5:30 am

Re: Rev Limiters, Top speed flexibility

Your car can go faster than its calculated top speed if the rev-limiter allows and the track is downhill. The problem is with overdrive gears I think. If you have less acceleration potential in the higher gear it never shifts up, so you are stuck at the redline. That is just a deficiency in our test track calculations, usually not a problem. :)

Return to Developer Questions