FAQ  •  Login

Block and part Sharing

<<

DisplacementKing

Cars: 1983 Volvo 240GL

Post Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 am

Block and part Sharing

Hi, got to thinking, i think it whould make some sence.

for the tycoon part, if i was to make two engines both with a,the same bore and stoke one is a inline 6 and the other is a v12, whould there be some sort of parts sharing to save costs ? like the cyllinders, block and head? :D
There is no replacement for displacement!!
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Fri May 08, 2015 7:48 am

Re: Block and part Sharing

Yes, that would make sense, but we decided against it as this would lead to quite a bit of micro management we don't want to see in the game. You will only be able to build 1 engine family per engine factory, so there can be no part sharing between V12s and I6s like in your example.
<<

FordManFromHell

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: FordManFromHell owns Ford's

Post Fri May 08, 2015 9:13 am

How about just simply giving players a bonus to costs or production time? The way I think of it, then there would not be extra micromanagement. But it could potentially add a bit more depth in to the game.
<<

Killrob

Post Fri May 08, 2015 5:55 pm

How would that make any sense considering the "1 engine family per engine factory" statement in my reply? :)
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Fri May 08, 2015 6:45 pm

I know it's de-railing the thread a little, but it follows on from the above statement.

Is 'Factory' the right word to describe the production facilities?
Most real world factories produce more than one item.
E.g. FCA's Plant in Melfi, produces Fiat Punto, 500x & Jeep Renegade. (3 models, 2 Brands) and their Termoli plant will produce both V6 and I4 engines.

I realise that physically these products are likely to be in different buildings but they do tend to be collected together as one "factory".

Would "Production Line" not be more suitable?

BTW the Melfi 500x facility can be 'toured' virtually here > http://www.fcamelfiplant.fiat.com/
<<

FordManFromHell

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Killrob wrote:How would that make any sense considering the "1 engine family per engine factory" statement in my reply? :)

Well for example, if straight 6 and V12 can in real life share some parts, then even though in game, you would produce them in different factories (or production line or whatever), you would still get a small discount for their cost per unit or something like that. Just because your company is building engines that can share parts with each other, even though this happens in different factories. You don’t need to mess with factories, you don’t need to mess with anything, just producing 2 or more engines that can share parts, and you get a bonus.

This could also be used in chassis, suspension etc.. For example, if many of your models in lets say in 70’s would be using a solid rear axel, even though the models(and trims) are being produced in different factories, then you could get a bonus for using same kind of stuff. Just simple bonus, no need for extra micromanagement with factories or anything.
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri May 08, 2015 11:57 pm

FordManFromHell wrote:Just simple bonus, no need for extra micromanagement with factories or anything.

My two cents:

Maybe if there was a "build derivative engine" tool where you go through your list of engines, pick an inline engine, and the game automatically creates a V engine family with all engine family settings locked. So if you picked an all-aluminum 86x86 MOHV I4, you'd automatically be given an engine family of an all-aluminum 86x86 MOHV V8 with reduced development costs or lower production costs for that family only, as long as you have the base engine in production. Perhaps the tool could be capable of adding or removing cylinders from a family too - convert I4s into I5s, cut a pair of cylinders off a V8 to build a V6, add a pair to build a V10, etc.

Even if it didn't give any in-game bonuses, it'd make building all those engines a bit less time-consuming.
<<

FordManFromHell

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 am

That sounds a bit gimmicky at least for me, and it doest work when there are different V-angles. All im saying is that: "So now your going to build another model with solid rear axel, ok so now it gets even more cheaper."
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Sat May 09, 2015 1:22 am

Audi has 90 degrees on all of their v engines. (v6,v8,v10) Can be traced back to the first v8 they made.
The only v6 engines that is not a 90 deg. they are built by VW (VR6).
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Sat May 09, 2015 1:35 am

Killrob has already stated in the last dev update that the game will only have 60° v6 engines since anything else is inferior
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sat May 09, 2015 3:45 am

To re-explain what Rob said, 90° V6s exist pretty much only because some companies find it simpler to just cut two cylinders off their V8s.

Compared to 60° V6s, they tend to be larger and more prone to vibration. And since their only advantage won't apply in the game, there isn't really any reason to have them.

15° VR6s though could definitively be interesting though, as their are for the most part a middle-ground between V6s and I6s. Although since they aren't really used outside VAG, that would be more the kind of thing I'd see being done post 1.0.
<<

Killrob

Post Sat May 09, 2015 5:07 am

Correct. VR-6 engines would be worth adding to the game as they come with pretty big specific advantages (size & weight), but unfortunately they are a pain to make with the assets we have. So that would not be worth it.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sat May 09, 2015 6:16 am

I imagine the main issues are related to the head design being quite different from pretty much all the other engines planned for 1.0?
<<

Killrob

Post Sat May 09, 2015 6:48 am

That and pistons, etc, there is nothing but conrods that can be reused :)
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Sat May 09, 2015 10:18 am

You cannot even use the conrods, on a VW 1.8 4cyl (81mm piston * 86.4mm stroke) the conrod is 144mm. On a 2.8l VR6 (81mm piston * 90.3 stroke) the conrod is 164mm.
Next

Return to Developer Questions