Has development been halted?

<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2012 Ford Mustang V6

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 am

Has development been halted?

So, I just spent $35 on this game, but it tells me there hasn't been an update since April, and, I haven't found a single developer news post since around that same time.

Do I need to de-activate my game key and get a refund, or are you guys still working on the game?

There are tons of glitches, and lots of animation errors, grammar errors, unit conversions missing, and of course I can only have a V8 or an I4 or I6.

EDIT: To make things more clear, I am directly asking the developers a question. Is the game still in development? What updates are being made? How has the game progressed since April? Etc. Let me say that again, I am asking the DEVELOPERS a question. Not beta testers. Not forum trolls. The developers. There is only four of them, so I will only take the answer from one of those four people. Stop attacking me for asking a question.

EDIT2: WE HAVE AN ANSWER! YAY!

Posted by Killrob on the 4th page:
"Yes, the game is still in development. Progress has been slower than usual in the last two months because a) the Australian part of the team moved from Melbourne to Wellington and b) the (then) Kiwi part of the team was on a EU trip for three weeks after not having a proper vacation for some 2 years time. During that time I was the only working member of the team, but of course limited in what I could do: I'm not a programmer or artist, I just do production stuff and balancing, etc. The videos you're seeing on Youtube for instance."

Thanks Killrob!!!
Last edited by PowerSports420 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Automation Videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeRMKK8Js0K_OG1OqHUKmdT8IGJr0Rs-L

Candy Red 2012 Ford Mustang V6
Airaid Intake, Borla Exhaust, BAMA Tune, 3.73 Gears, Rear Seat Delete, Staggered, Eibach Sport Kit, PowerStop Brake Kit
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: I have TWO Peugeots. Please feel sorry for me.

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:20 am

Re: Has development been halted?

Of course the game is still being worked on. If it wasn't, they would have said, and most of us would have left. The next update is due in around 3-4 weeks, maybe longer if we find any more bugs to be ironed out. And if you have found 'lots of animation errors' etc, then report them in the appropriate thread.

As for the refund thing, here's a quote that pretty much explains why refunds are kinda pointless (though I'm not sure if it would also apply to your situation, as you have only had the game since the 29th June:
Killrob wrote:It is unfortunate that you are displeased with the progression of the game's development. It is a slow process indeed and we are not sacrificing any promised features, nor quality in order to finish the game any sooner. A complex beast like Automation takes a lot of time to develop and will continue to do so.

While, technically, a refund is possible, I don't think it is warranted in this situation. You preordered the game quite some time ago (~6 months) and probably have played it for more than a handful of hours since. You don't get to return a half-baked deep-frozen pizza which you took a bite out already because you got tired of waiting for it to be done, right?
<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:18 am

That doesn't really calm my worries.

Why haven't they been posting progress updates, or uploading new videos showing what they are doing? They aren't even using the livestream feature anymore.

I don't have time to compile all the issues and post them, that's not my job. If the developers can at least update us on what is going on, then I would consider helping out, otherwise, not wasting my time.

If I don't see some kind of activity by one of the developers soon, then I am going to ask for a refund, and if they refuse, I will use Paypal Buyer Protection. Like you said, I only have had the game for two days, and it is nowhere near what is promised on the purchasing site. That, and the damn thing keeps advertising to me to buy the full game, even though I already entered my keycode and everything. Really starting to get on my nerves.

If someone can point me to a RECENT post or upload from them (detailing progress and etc), i.e. within the last week, then I'll hang onto the game and just deal with the poor update schedule.

Edit: It also clearly says that they are on Steam Early Access (Steam Greenlighted), yet they are not on Steam at all. So, as you all know, the installer they provided kept trying to trick me into installing the Bing! bar, which isn't very professional.
Last edited by PowerSports420 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Automation Videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeRMKK8Js0K_OG1OqHUKmdT8IGJr0Rs-L

Airaid Intake, Borla Exhaust, BAMA Tune, 3.73 Gears, Rear Seat Delete, Staggered, Eibach Sport Kit, PowerStop Brake Kit
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 am

The features that are described on the homepage are what is going to be in the finished game, which is some way away yet. It pays to be patient.

They are still very much active. Maybe if you did your research, or even looked at recent forum posts, you could have realized this.
See here: https://www.facebook.com/AutomationGame?fref=ts
And here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhzo8 ... YK1hDGOm2A
Last edited by Pleb on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:23 am

The most recent video is over 2 weeks old, and shows no game improvements whatsoever. A couple new Scenarios isn't progress.

And, I don't have Facebook, so, not gonna make an account just to get information the developers should be posting on their forum.

<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 am

If you at first would have checked on the activity of the development of the game, you wouldnt be here ranting on how bad their updates are.
As a matter of fact, they arent. If you really could do some searching, you easily find out they have been away on a trip to Europe for two weeks.

Secondly, they have a Facebook page, where they post updates regularly: https://www.facebook.com/AutomationGame?fref=ts

Third, they have a youtube channel which shows you game updates as soon as they are worthy to tell the mass-audience: https://www.youtube.com/user/AutomationGame

And lastly, make sure you check a number of posts on the forums here. KillRob (producer of the game) responds to most of the people, just like Daffyflyer (game developer) and they respond to questions asked by people regarding the game. One of the questions in the last two days was, when to expect an update. Expectation is about 2 to 3 weeks for a big update to arrive.

So next time, before getting all worried and claiming a refund, look around a bit further.
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 am

I looked around very thoroughly, and saw no posts DIRECTLY from the developers about any progress whatsoever.

And also, the YouTube video is over 2 weeks old. And, the person who filmed it said only TWO of the developers were on vacation.

That still doesn't explain why an update hasn't been posted since April. Most beta games get updates at least monthly, with some of the better ones getting weekly updates.

It is also a little fishy that they claim to be on Steam, but aren't.

I'm waiting to hear from a developer, before I start to process a re-imbursement request.

Edit: Its really simple, if they can show progress, then i'll keep the game. But so far, I see no proof of progress whatsoever.

<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:37 am

This isn't a superproduction, with hundreds of developers, it is a small development team, they are just two guys in new Zealand with their producer in Germany. That is why progress is slow and the reason why when 2 of them have gone in vacation the development briefly halted. If you had searched enoughyou would see that in the main site, there is even a bio of them. So chill out, please.
They are back to work now, going through the last steps to an update. But, considering how small the team is, that will still take some weeks to go out.
Last edited by Leonardo9613 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:39 am

The closed beta of the game (for testers to fix bugs) has received 2 updates since yesterday. The only reason the public don't get these regular updates is because it will be really buggy and pretty much unplayable, and so people will be annoyed at how unplayable the game is and ask for a refund.

And I'm sure a dev will be here sometime soon to sort you out. But I can assure you, much progress is being made in the closed beta in terms of development.
<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:42 am

It is simple, there is progress... and there is only TWO developers of the game... so when the TWO developers are on vacation (a well deserved one, looking at them working almost day in day out on the game) there is not much work going on is there? A game isnt easily made like that. They want to create quality, not quantity. So if you are looking for updates every week, this isn't the place. I rather have updates that are GOOD instead of rushed ones full of glitches. The game is also betatested quite often, so you cant really claim its really buggy. Be glad you got something to play with

Also, its funny how you come here, b*tching and there is 9999 others happy with the game and accepting the way its going down and being happy with the progress so far.
Another funny thing is that you claim they arent on Steam. Funny enough, they dont claim anywhere but to be GREENLIT on steam, which means Steam actively follows their progress and they are working together with Steam on making a early beta access for the game on Steam. So they arent on just yet, just Greenlit.

Read up on a couple of things before you reply nonsense. The devs are also researching into using a different game-engine and GUI system, so the game can become even better. Research means no development. If you have agame-producing background, you have reason to talk.

Sorry if I sound agressive or offensive to you. That is not what I'm trying to be. I just don't understand how people can be ignorant when there is tons of information around.
Also, when you choose not to use Facebook, thats your choice. But millions do and its a very good platform to keep a community updated and done a lot, also by other developers. So if you really want last minute updates, you should check their page out.
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am

Pleb wrote:The closed beta of the game (for testers to fix bugs) has received 2 updates since yesterday. The only reason the public don't get these regular updates is because it will be really buggy and pretty much unplayable, and so people will be annoyed at how unplayable the game is and ask for a refund.

And I'm sure a dev will be here sometime soon to sort you out. But I can assure you, much progress is being made in the closed beta in terms of development.

I am glad to hear that. Again, I require some proof of progress to justify throwing $35 at this game. I was under the impression that the Demo was the old version, but when I upgraded, nothing got better, it just had a tiny bit more features.

I am not here to accuse or rant or anything of the sort. I just want some firm proof that this game is still in development.

There are plenty of small-team games that update all the time, i.e., Kerbal Space Program, Space Engineers, Minecraft Beta, Rust, etc...

All I need is some hard proof that the game is continuing development, and I'll be happy.

<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:48 am

WizzyThaMan wrote:It is simple, there is progress... and there is only TWO developers of the game... so when the TWO developers are on vacation (a well deserved one, looking at them working almost day in day out on the game) there is not much work going on is there? A game isnt easily made like that. They want to create quality, not quantity. So if you are looking for updates every week, this isn't the place. I rather have updates that are GOOD instead of rushed ones full of glitches. The game is also betatested quite often, so you cant really claim its really buggy. Be glad you got something to play with

Also, its funny how you come here, b*tching and there is 9999 others happy with the game and accepting the way its going down and being happy with the progress so far.
Another funny thing is that you claim they arent on Steam. Funny enough, they dont claim anywhere but to be GREENLIT on steam, which means Steam actively follows their progress and they are working together with Steam on making a early beta access for the game on Steam. So they arent on just yet, just Greenlit.

Read up on a couple of things before you reply nonsense. The devs are also researching into using a different game-engine and GUI system, so the game can become even better. Research means no development. If you have agame-producing background, you have reason to talk.

Sorry if I sound agressive or offensive to you. That is not what I'm trying to be. I just don't understand how people can be ignorant when there is tons of information around.
Also, when you choose not to use Facebook, thats your choice. But millions do and its a very good platform to keep a community updated and done a lot, also by other developers. So if you really want last minute updates, you should check their page out.

First of all, it clearly shows on the home site that there are more than two developers.

I'm not bitching, I am trying to figure out whether or not the game is still in development. That's a valid question that deserves a valid answer from someone with the authority to give it.

And yes, I have a very detailed background in a lot of different computer-based fields. Designing a game isn't easy, but simply posting a written update once a week is click-click-done.

And no, its not on Steam. I searched, i browsed, i looked and looked and its not there.

Don't even try to start a Facebook argument. I don't use it. And I never will. And if i have to explain my reasons in the first place, then you'll never understand them.

if a developer posts some evidence that the game is still in production, then thats all I need.

<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 am

I'm sorry, a tiny bit more features? The demo has only one car body and one type of engine. The latest public beta has 10 car bodies, two more types of engine, all of the scenarios and turbochargers. Each type of engine required 4-6 to develop and get the stars right, so there we have 12-18 months of work, at least, differentiating the two. More like, a lot more features.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 am

PowerSports420 wrote:They aren't even using the livestream feature anymore.

Here's a quick look at their Facebook page, it proves that they are active, and it also proves that Daffyflyer does run the Devstream (And in that stream, Daffy was working on some new car bodies. Which also proves that they are actively working to add content to the game). And, if you don't mind me asking, how would you know whether or not they run the devstream if you've only been here for 2 days? Not trying to be offensive or anything, I just found it odd.

Patience is key. Just put it this way: The more time the devs spend on the game, the more time they have to make it awesome.
Anyway, I'm done here.
Last edited by Pleb on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

PowerSports420

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 am

Leonardo9613 wrote:I'm sorry, a tiny bit more features? The demo has only one car body and one type of engine. The latest public beta has 10 car bodies, two more types of engine, all of the scenarios and turbochargers. Each type of engine required 4-6 to develop and get the stars right, so there we have 12-18 months of work, at least, differentiating the two. More like, a lot more features.

yes, "a little bit more".

The car bodies mean nothing to me, having only an I4 I6 and V8 isn't really what i'd call "a lot".

The turbos are nice, but still, they don't add much without the V6 or Boxer engine to use them on.

And the scenarios are, well, just text...

The game is great, for the V8 or the I6. It works well, it sounds good (until it glitches), and it generally runs ok, maybe only crashing about once an hour.

BUT, the point is, there is no PROOF of development available to the general public, and this is not cool. I need proof the game is still in development, plain and simple. I have a right to know what I am paying for.

Next

Return to Developer Questions