FAQ  •  Login

Loss on cars

<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:07 am

Loss on cars

I'm not sure if this will be implemented or not, but how about the option of a loss on cars through negative profit on the market tab? I see this as being useful for making a low volume hypercar or something pushing the limits of technology and lowering the price to make it more desirable, and taking that loss to boost overall brand image/marketing. The Chevrolet Volt and Cadillac ELR are sold at a loss due to the cost of development for the technology, but they give a big boost to GM's green image.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Loss on cars

I think you can loss money in the current game without negative profit slider...
If your cost (tooling cost + engineering cost + [cost per car x cast per day x days of production]) is lower than (price per car x cars sold) [asuming you sold al your cars] then you would be losing money.

Example:

Asuming 200 days of production and a market price of 39,396 (8%) and following the formulae above, the total production car would be $1''403'143,800, and the total amount of sales would be 1''011'808,800. And that's assuming that you sold every car you produced (which is kind of unlikely). Of course you can produce more and more cars until you get back what you invested, but thats the case for production cars. But in the case of hypercars or vehicules that are limited production, you can easily loss a lot the money.

This is another example. If we set this car to be limited to 300 cars, with a market price of $87,472 (12%), after doing the calcs we get that the total cost of making the 300 cars is $574'237,800, but we only get back $3'761,296.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:23 am

With future updates it will be possible to push into markets by accepting a loss overall, yes. Currently we limit the price to a somewhat reasonable value to give a good balancing baseline for players to play around with.
<<

SheikhMansour

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:33 am

Also, Bugatti lost something like four million pounds on every car they made.

Return to Suggestions