FAQ  •  Login

Multiplate clutches

<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:57 am

Multiplate clutches

Hi, I don't know if this has been suggested before, but how about some multiplate clutches? I read somewhere in the forum that manual transmissions will be synchro and no-synchro, but as far as I know, in America all the manual transmissions are synchro and the no-synchro are only used in some old trucks and busses. I think it will be more interesting the option of multiplate clutches. We already have single clutch option, a two plate clutch would decrease the power loss and increase the sportiness but hurt comfort a bit, and triple plate clutches would have even less power loss, increase sportiness a lot, but decrease comfort and drivability.
Also, the option of a planetary gear transmission with manual gear changes (as the modern ZF, or the old autostick technology) coould be cool, but I don't know if is a viable option, because there is not so much difference between that and a regular automatic transmission.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Multiplate clutches

I think the synchro vs. no-synchro thing has been dropped as it wouldn't really a choice for most of the game time.
We might look into more clutch types though, but first we need to see how the game plays with the planned features. If we then find the drivetrain design choices to be lacking and dragging down the game, we will consider adding a bit more choice.
<<

nerd

Cars: None as of now and at least 3 years from now.

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:15 am

Sillyworld wrote:Also, the option of a planetary gear transmission with manual gear changes (as the modern ZF, or the old autostick technology) coould be cool, but I don't know if is a viable option, because there is not so much difference between that and a regular automatic transmission.

We already have that, it's the sequential option.
Rado Automotive Incrorporated (my automation car company): 1946998
Rado Automotive Incorporated car showroom
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:32 am

nerd wrote:
Sillyworld wrote:Also, the option of a planetary gear transmission with manual gear changes (as the modern ZF, or the old autostick technology) coould be cool, but I don't know if is a viable option, because there is not so much difference between that and a regular automatic transmission.

We already have that, it's the sequential option.

The Sequential is a manual gearbox.... pairs of gears acting on each other.
The ONLY place you find planetary manual gearboxes, is on a dragstrip. Lenco is the manufacturer.
They are a b**ch to change down, has to be made with the engine on idle, and the car not moving. IIRC.
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks for answering. I think those options would be cool, but they're not by any means necessary (I can't think of any production car with a triple plate clutch). Keep up the good work.

@nerd:
the sequential transmission is a manual gearbox and a computer manages the clutch, the Revmatching and the changes, with little power loss and use one or two clutches, while the modern ZF transmissions, the Chrysler's autostick, Audi's triptonic, etc... Are regular automatic transmissions with a torque converter, and although you can select the gears yourself (in a sequential manner) , they're not as quick or as precise (or expensive) as a true sequential transmission.
EDIT: ZF 8HP planetary gearset transmission Https://youtu.be/FqyPizRyphQ

EDIT 2: Ford's dual clutch transaxle http://youtu.be/6iCRnAUftvl
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:45 am

A sequential is a gearbox where you HAVE to go through all gears in sequence, ie; 1-2-3-4-5.... you cannot go 1-2-4.
There is no need for a computer clutch.
A sequential can also be made with "dogbox" non syncro gear rings. same as those used in nearly all motorcyckle transmissions.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 am

That is what all sequentials do, as the automatized manuals have to do too. To avoid confusion, the game calls the robotised manuals sequential gearboxes, with the single clutch one being similar to Maserati's cambio corsa or fiat's dualogic and the dual clutch option being VW's DSG.
<<

vmo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A undestructable Toyota with 1ZR FAE engine, Honda Civic VTi EG6, Mazda RX7 fc

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 am

Sillyworld wrote:Thanks for answering. I think those options would be cool, but they're not by any means necessary (I can't think of any production car with a triple plate clutch). Keep up the good work.

@nerd:
the sequential transmission is a manual gearbox and a computer manages the clutch, the Revmatching and the changes, with little power loss and use one or two clutches, while the modern ZF transmissions, the Chrysler's autostick, Audi's triptonic, etc... Are regular automatic transmissions with a torque converter, and although you can select the gears yourself (in a sequential manner) , they're not as quick or as precise (or expensive) as a true sequential transmission.
EDIT: ZF 8HP planetary gearset transmission Https://youtu.be/FqyPizRyphQ

EDIT 2: Ford's dual clutch transaxle http://youtu.be/6iCRnAUftvl

Some sequential gearboxes doesn't had autoclutch for all gears, and others had a triggered clutch (with a load cell inside the knob: if you look a sequential shifter with a cable from the knob, uses this system), others only require the clutch to change from N to R or 1, and others had autoclutch.
Company: Montes Cars
Company ID: 1940001
Visit the brand models http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3995
In AutomationHub.net: http://www.automationhub.net/company-ca ... mpanyID=18
My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/1MtRpd

Return to Suggestions