FAQ  •  Login

Forced induction revamp suggestions

<<

chema1994

Cars: Nothing yet :(

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 am

Forced induction revamp suggestions

Hi, since the devs are making a forced induction revamp in the future, I think it's time to discuss the possible options they are gonna add in the future. Currently we have single turbos and twin-parallel turbos for V engines. Those types are perfectly fine for the for designs from the 70s and 80s but it's quite old technology for a modern engine. Also supercharged engines are an option we are missing right now.
The first thing I don't understand is the fact that turbos are only available from 1975 while the first production car was introduced in 1962.

SUPERCHARGERS
Roots
Twin-screw: An improvement over the old Roots type supercharger. Available from 2002.
Twin-charger: Combines a Roots-type supercharger for low revs and a turbocharger for high revs. First used in high-perfomance applications but now used in more economy oriented ones. Available from 1985.

TURBOCHARGERS
Single turbo
Twin parellel turbo: Twin identical turbos, reduced turbo lag.
Twin sequential turbo: Two different turbos, each optimized for a different rev range. Reduces turbo lag. Available from 1986
Twin-scroll turbo. Reduces turbo-lag and has overall improved perfomance
Variable Geometry turbo: The most advanced option. Comes at a high cost in both engineering and materials, but it's the most effective turbocharger. Available from 1988.

INTERCOOLER
Air-cooled
Water-cooled: Reduces turbo-lag. Available from 1988.
Water-injection: Skips the intercooler engineering process at expense of higher running costs. Was used in early turbocharged cars, but is still used in some aftermarket modifications and high perfomance cars (along with a regular intercooler).

There are some other forced induction options but I'm not sure if those have a chance to be added.
The G-type supercharger used by VW in the 90s was discountinied for no reason (that I know of).
Centrifugal superchargers, Eaton-type.
Quad turbos were developed for the GT90 concept car but are not used in the engine configurations we currently have (maybe with W engines in the future...)

Cheers

EDIT about the interface: I think that those could be easily fitted in the current interface. Just make the compresor, AR and turbine sliders double so we can choose the two different turbos when needed. Water-injection could be an option right below the intercooler tab.
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:49 am

Re: Forced induction revamp suggestions

...wow, this is not super relevant, but it looks like superchargers show up EARLY. They'd probably be unlocked (but too expensive for most applications) in 1940, even. Turbos would still be 60s at the earliest for production cars, though.
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:51 am

I think the forced induction revamp is going to be one of the last things to do... Since the first major thing is the unreal engine change, then the whole tycoon part, then the engine revamp and finally the forced induction revamp.
The dates when the technology is available has been stated several times that it's not when it first appeared, but rather when it became widely available. That's why the turbocharger unlocks until 1975. In the campaign mode you can research for new technology and unlock it before. It's like a patent thing, when you register something no one else can use it for the next 20 years, after that everyone can copy that technology.
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 am

Right - I'm not arguing turbos should be earlier, I'm just surprised at how much earlier superchargers came into use.
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:16 am

I did a quickresearch and it seems the design for the turbocharger was patented in early 1900, so it's a really old design :shock:
it remind me of the Ravigneaux gear set, which has 4 speed automatic transmission and was patented in 1949 (even before the 3 speed automatic simpson gearset) but wasn't use for some years, due to that the technology wasn't reliable enough.
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:30 am

Hmm - okay, doing more searching, it looks like only Mercedes was making a significant number of supercharged cars before the 1950s. I'm finding superchargers mentioned as factory options (or standard equipment!) on a number of American production vehicles starting in the mid-1950s (Ford Thunderbird, Packard Hawk, Studebaker Golden Hawk, ...), so maybe around then, plus or minus a decade, would make sense for Sandbox mode.
<<

chema1994

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:38 am

Maybe centrifugal superchargers could be the earliest form of forced induction since the 50s?
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:08 am

Superchargers will be available right from the start of the campaign; which variants that applies to is not yet decided :)
<<

chema1994

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:14 pm

My guess is that Roots and twin-screw are a given since those are a good option for early and late designs.
Centrifugal ones would be interesting unless they decide to keep the early era simpler.
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Killrob wrote:Superchargers will be available right from the start of the campaign; which variants that applies to is not yet decided :)

Nice! Knowing how relatively common supercharging was in the '30s its nice to have this option for the early years!

On the subject of forced induction; I'd expect it's been suggested before but it would be nice to have single-turbo option for V-engines too - it would be cheaper to manufacture and not all turbo engines need to be super high performance.
BTW, is twin charging planned? Turbo+supercharger you know, such as used by VW in 2000s.

OP: quad turbo engines exist IRL in Bugatti EB110 and Veyron.

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

chema1994

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Yeah, just realized that the Bugatti used quad-parallel turbos for its V12.

Are single turbos used for V engines? I think that it's easier to use a turbo for each bank in order to keep things simpler.

And don't forget we could research twincharging earlier and put it in our sport cars :p
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

A quick Google search suggests "packaging constraints" as a reason - and come to think of it, there have been times when twin-turbos made the engine too wide....
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:28 pm

chema1994 wrote:Yeah, just realized that the Bugatti used quad-parallel turbos for its V12.

Are single turbos used for V engines? I think that it's easier to use a turbo for each bank in order to keep things simpler.

And don't forget we could research twincharging earlier and put it in our sport cars :p

GMC Cyclone. V6 single turbo.
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:17 am

Buick Grand National. V6, single turbo.

Just in case someone decided to ask for other reference cars.
<<

chema1994

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 am

Well I don't think that single turbos would that difficult to do.
Next

Return to Suggestions