FAQ  •  Login

Camera controls, texturing, ctrl+z and a few others

<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:38 am

Camera controls, texturing, ctrl+z and a few others

Hi! So I've not been playing Automation for too long (although I managed to rack up more hours in it than any other game (TAKE THAT, BORDERLANDS 2! HA!)), but I find a few things I'd like to be implemented to better the game for at least some people, im sure not everybody.

First off, well, a CTRL+Z command, we need the undo button, because one you've plastered vents and lights all over your car and wish to fiddle with them, sometimes you grab the wrong one and move it, and then you have to put it back to where it belongs and it's a chore, because some placement should be inch perfect etc etc etc.
As an example - I was working on a rear end of a car and while finetuning the taillights I would often select vents on the front of the car and move those. It was frustrating. Now, Im not a coding genious, far from it, but I suspect selection method modification is harder to code than an undo button, this is why I'm suggesting it.

Texturing, well, there's this game Live For Speed that had the function, you could take a default texture of the car and simply draw over it in paint, gimp, photoshop, anything, save it under a different name. In game you would chose to use that exact texture for the car and it would apply it to a specific car only. It would be pretty awesome to implement this in Automation, we could add minor lines, carbon fibre texture, decals, sponsorship stickers, maybe letters on tires, hell, fullscale racing liveries are possible, which would be pretty awesome.
However, I suspect that not a lot of texturing is taking place on the car's body, so it could be hard to implement, correct me if Im wrong.

Camera controls - we have pretty decent camera controls right now, but option to move the camera about would do some good when fiddling with tiny adjustments, and a FOV (Field of view) slider would allow us to use low FOV close to the car, resulting in better quality export pictures. Now, the FOV is a questionable thing, I know, it's only real use is - to make higher quality pictures to export and to phothoshop our cars into real life pictures. Not very useful, I know, but some people tend to do so, and at this moment to go low FOV we have to scroll back and the car's picture quality drops significantly.
A Photo mode would solve this I think, although it is also quite an addition, I don't think spending time on that is logical.

Free forming fixtures. Now we have a lot of workshop mods to give us all sorts of vents and headlights, grilles and so on. But in all honesty most of them would be rendered useless if only we could free form modify the ones that exist. Let's say you have a square vent, you take the upper right corner and move it lower - you now got a triangular one, etc etc etc, possibilities are endless and designs would get even better since we could work with our imagination, without limiting ourselves to the fixtures that are available

Well, that's it for now, don't judge harshly, and I hope I explained my ideas clearly enough.

Cheers.
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:28 am

Re: Camera controls, texturing, ctrl+z and a few others

There's already undo/redo functions in the lower left, just above the main UI. They're not linked to ctrl+z and ctrl+y (that would be simpler), but they're there for morphing and fixture placement.

I can't say I take enough pictures to really comment on camera commands.

I thought about the freeforming as well, and I suspect that would be quite hard to implement, especially for lights, as it would heavily deform the fixture. Skew functions (horizontal and vertical) might be better to keep the integrity of the fixtures and would also give us a whole new dimension to them.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

Return to Suggestions