Interactive Graphs

<<

Steambirds

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Suburban

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:28 am

Interactive Graphs

I love the fact that the graphs update in real time, but I wish that I could get a better view of them sometimes! Especially in the car designer for things like braking and vehicle roll. Being able to zoom in and see the values accurately for certain parts of the graph by mousing over the line would be useful. Another useful thing would be the ability to hide certain lines to better make sense of the data.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:56 am

Re: Interactive Graphs

That is something we will look at once we are getting the game ported to Unreal Engine, which will allow us to revisit quite a few UI related things.
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:46 am

Killrob wrote:That is something we will look at once we are getting the game ported to Unreal Engine, which will allow us to revisit quite a few UI related things.

Can I suggest one thing that I've been thinking of since I first bought Automation?

Hover-over metric/non-metric conversion.

If I have a motor with 2883 cc displacement, i'd really love to be able to hover over the "2883 CC" and have "176 CID" pop-up, and vice versa, same with things like bore and stroke dimensions. KMH to MPH, and the other way back, too - speaking of, when do you think we'll ever see a speedo on the test tracks in MPH? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but my brain just doesn't do metric well yet, although Automation is helping (forcing) me to learn! :) Furthermore, I know I'm going off topic, but you said you thought maybe we could get gear ratios on hover-over, even if it's just the final ratio, any comments?

Thanks again, a thousand times.
<<

Killrob

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:11 am

The multiple units thing I don't think makes much sense for most. If you all your life have measured engine capacity in liters, then a pop-up of cin will actually make the game worse, not better. So you would have to have that switchable too, which is extra work and makes things more difficult to maintain. For those who have used both this might be interesting, but I would think that setting the preferred unit in the options (like now) is pretty close to the optimal solution.

The gears ratio tool-tip thing is still on the ToDo list :) just not very high up at the moment.
Cheers!
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:56 am

Ahh, dang... I always have google open on one half of the screen and Automation on the other. I use inches for BxS, but displacement in liters, but I think in cubic inches as well, and I'm always going back and forth between both and KMH to MPH, and kg to lbs... I see what you mean, though, that for most people, it would get in the way - I need both constantly, though, so I guess my old way will be my only way from here on out. In an hour of play, I probably google thirty plus conversions.
Thanks for the explanation.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:27 am

that brings up a certain idea. 3d power graph.
now there's a power/torque as the X and RPM as the Y. but what about Throttle opening as the Z?

it seems like you already have that in game when you test the engine yourself with us controlling the throttle. but not really depicted graphically.

is this still in the feasible range? even in the far future?

Return to Suggestions