FAQ  •  Login

Ballast WeightI

<<

Deskyx

Cars: I wish

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:51 am

Ballast WeightI

Wow it's been forever since I posted here. I just got back in the game recently again.

Currently (still) I noticed that FR cars have poor 0-60 times, and most point the reason for that to be their weight distribution. I also have had the problem of building ridiculously light cars even with steel bodies and cast iron blocks, particularly in older cars, but I don't want to make them cost too much by upping interior quality.

Like when I built an FR I6 turbo 90s coupe with zero intentions of weight savings, the car turned in at 1187kgs.

I really hope we can add ballast as a method of balancing the weight distribution more effectively and easily, and most importantly cheaply.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Ballast WeightI

You can morph the bodies a bit to help with that; reduce the front overhang, lengthen the trunk, stretch the rear window bottom back, alter the rear roof line. You can also add bigger rear brakes, wider rear tires, maybe consider a solid axle and a 4 or 5 seat layout to add to that extra rearward weight. Try to set your gearing so that second gear hits 100kph right near the red line or a bit before it. Also consider altering the engine's bore and stroke a wider bore mean a longer engine and so will put its weight a bit further forward. Also stroke weights less then bore.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

I'd love for something like this to be implemented.

Fun Fact: I used to drive a 1963 Impala around for my everyday car, and eventually I got my hand on the factory GM Service manual - not a repair manual, but the factory manual - and in there there was a section about unwanted vibration or bounce in the suspension. The solution? "Add sheets of 1/4 or 3/8th inch steel under the carpets in the trunk or passenger area until the effect is dampened."

Add heavy pieces of steel - God Bless this country. :lol: :lol:
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:55 pm

I love it, but my mental model of the devs would ask: "where do we fit the ballast sliders in the UI?" Things are already quite cramped, and I don't know if ballast is a valuable enough feature to knock out something that's already there.

Return to Suggestions