another measure of fuel economy.

<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:41 am

another measure of fuel economy.

I know that in many places, people use the Km/L system to measure it which is analogous to MPG, but metric, have you considered implementing it?
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:31 am

Re: another measure of fuel economy.

Yes, that will be implemented later down the line, plenty of people seems to be using/wanting this.
<<

chema1994

Cars: Nothing yet :(

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:14 am

Where is km/L used? I am curious.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:27 am

the latin parts of Europe and South America
<<

chema1994

Cars: Nothing yet :(

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:35 am

Manche wrote:the latin parts of Europe and South America

which latin parts of Europe, I am from Spain and I've always used L/100km
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:55 am

One italian said they use it, as does Denmark. Maybe before km/l was more common on the whole continent, but with the introduction of standardised tests and ads l/100km took over.
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Here in Sweden we most of the time use : Liter/Mil(10km), so 1/10 of l/100km.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Quick question (and sorry for going slightly off topic).........why use those complicated systems (L/100km or L/10km)? It is not easy to figure out at the gas station compared to MPG/KPL, those are simple, divide distance driven by fuel used and bam, fuel economy. Dont take me for being the typical American who thinks our system is best (it is far from it) but I can NOT see the logic or simplicity in the L/100km system, it is too complex and not easy to figure out AND as you're driving it is even worse because you dont know how far you can go on 3.74L (for example). If you guys can clear this up I would appreciate it!
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:28 am

BlastersPewPew wrote:Quick question (and sorry for going slightly off topic).........why use those complicated systems (L/100km or L/10km)? It is not easy to figure out at the gas station compared to MPG/KPL, those are simple, divide distance driven by fuel used and bam, fuel economy. Dont take me for being the typical American who thinks our system is best (it is far from it) but I can NOT see the logic or simplicity in the L/100km system, it is too complex and not easy to figure out AND as you're driving it is even worse because you dont know how far you can go on 3.74L (for example). If you guys can clear this up I would appreciate it!

L/100km is more logical, because most of the time you KNOW how long the journey is. And the more power you use, the higher the number becomes. :D
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:20 am

But that is where you get tripped up, what if you just want to go cruising but have no destination or dont know how far your destination is? Half a tank would get me 342 miles, easy to figure out, 19 gallons @ 18MPG is 342 miles but if you used the L/KM it would be torturous, 72L will get you how far? 72L @ 13L/100km......... I cant just think of that number in my head, takes too many calculations to get to the distance you can go. And that is my point, MPG tells you how far you CAN go, L/km tells you how much you use for a set distance. I guess it comes down to the differences in culture, here in the USA we (not all of us mind you) dont really care how much it takes us to get somewhere because we need to drive there anyways, in Europe I guess it is different because your prices are so high for fuel.

Ugh, too tired to think this hard, hope my ramblings make sense to you guys..........

Again, sorry for being off topic, just trying to wrap my head around this.....
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:35 am

Pyrlix tried to explain me his logic, and the system seems to be more useful for normal commutes. For example, someone drivers 200km a week, they know that they will use 14 litres to do that, therefore they know how much money they will spend just by multiplying the fuel price to the fuel used. For me, using km/l or mpg, to get that information is a bit trickier. But I still think that our system is more logical, as it makes calculating ranges, which is what really matters once you have bought the car, easier.
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:50 am

It's all down to what you've got used to.
I like mpg because it's all I've known and never had any issues with it and working out ranges.
Having said that, I've not had too for the last decade at least with most cars now having a trip computer to work it out for you.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:11 am

BlastersPewPew wrote:But that is where you get tripped up, what if you just want to go cruising but have no destination or dont know how far your destination is?

I think there's a difference in cultures, which is also related to the difference in the kinds of cars that predominate our markets. I'm under the impression that at least in Australia, it is not common to just jump in the car and drive without a destination unless you're in an altered state of mind lol :lol:
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 13 Nissan Pathfinder
99 Nissan Frontier
84 Jeep CJ7 (rock crawler)

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:46 am

This will probably confuse Blasters even more ;) I measure the fuel consumption in my Jeep in Gallons/Hour.

12 gallons of usable fuel, at 1 gallon/hour = 12 hours of play time. :)
Desert Mountains Automotive Specializing in high reliability cars and trucks for more demanding needs.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:01 am

Bugatti Veyron owners probably use the same measure, 20 UK gallons of fuel gone in 15 minutes, in full speed.

And in your case, since you don't go anywhere while driving or go very slowly, it is a measure that makes some sense indeed.

I also gave some thought why knowing the range is important for me, and on the motor/highways there aren't that many fuel stations, probably one every 30-50 km in some places. Running out in between them wouldn't be nice at all.
Next

Return to Suggestions