Drive Type Question

<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Drive Type Question

You know how in some 4x4s you can choose which drive type to use? (AWD, FWD, RWD), how about putting something like this into the game? I know it's not real RWD or FWD, it just puts all the torque to those wheels. We need more 4x4 features in the game, imo.
By the way, I wasn't sure what this was called so I couldn't search the forums for it :lol:
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Re: Drive Type Question

I think the term you are looking for is selectable 4x4, often found on off-road vehicles and pick-up trucks.

It is actually already implemented in the closed beta, so you should see that feature very soon.
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Oh, that's good then.
<<

xABSOLUTIONx

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: BMW E36 323i Coupe

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 pm

wasn't it called 4WD? transfer cases and stuff..
<<

HellBoyBG

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:54 am

This type of drive is called "Part time AWD". This means you can pick between 2WD and 4WD, instead of being stuck only in 4WD.

As for the transfer case. In this type of 4x4 the drive train (engine and gear box) connects to a drive shaft. This drive shafts doesn't go all the way to the rear wheels, instead it's stays somewhere in the middle of the car. The case is mounted there. By the use of gears it transfers power to a shaft going to the front differential and uses some other gears to power a second shaft going to the back. It switches from 4WD to 2WD (in this case RWD) with the use of dog ring, like the one you will find in manual gearboxes.

Here you can see an animation of how it works and the parts that make up the transfer case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lhM3dupjXo
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 am

No, you have confused things.

AWD has permanent traction and can switch between axles and wheels, usually with open differentials all-round. It is meant for on-road use.

4WD, or 4x4, has a permanent 50/50 torque ratio, which causes axle hopping under fast cornering and uneven tyre wear, however it is a cheap and good off-road solution. Cars with this system usually have selectors allowing to choose between 2WD and 4WD traction, be it via levers or electronically.
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Owner's manual for some Subarus expressly tells you to remove the AWD fuse if you have to drive on the spare tire. This disables drive to the rear wheels.

WRX STi features Driver Controlled Center Differential, which is essentially a variable LSD which allows the driver (or the car itself) to adjust front-rear torque distribution to suit driving conditions. It is also capable of locking completely, which causes the standard wheel hop and understeer.

Variable torque distribution and LSD center differentials would be an interesting addition for building sports cars, but I'm not sure how it'd be implemented.

EDIT: The usage of "AWD" to mean "permanent 4WD with open differentials" is, AFAIK, regional.

Return to Suggestions