Workshop Mod Sanity Check

<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Toyota GT86 Giallo, Citroen 2CV6 Spécial

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 am

Workshop Mod Sanity Check

Hi everyone, I don't think this has been suggested yet but I may be wrong...

I realise it may not be a priority currently, but is it maybe worth implementing a basic sanity check for installed workshop mods when running the game? A couple of mods out of the relatively small number so far have game breaking issues such as missing files or the wrong file structure.

I'm not saying this is against any modders, mistakes happen, but it may be worth putting a quick check in just to go through the process of checking all the files exist in the correct places, and if not, ignore that mod.

I'm not so good at making 3D stuff, so I'm not 100% sure how the workshop process works currently and if this would be possible. If it is though, it might reduce a lot of problems later on when mods start growing in numbers, and people suddenly wonder why their game won't load.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:51 am

Re: Workshop Mod Sanity Check

The main issue right now is that one of the mods on the workshop is missing its lua file, although the rest of the folder structure is fine.

This prevents the game from loading since it sees a folder but no lua file in it.

Making it so the game ignores that issue and simply doesn't load the mod could prevent this game-breaking issue from happening, and protect the players from distracted modders.

Some sort of check within the workshop tool could also be interesting, but it depends on how hard it would be to implement.
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Speaking of this, I would like to suggest that the game (at some point) somehow indicate items that are from mods. It could be a symbol, a border, or a background color in the UI. It would just be really nice to clearly identify that a particular car body or door handle is from a mod.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Trifler wrote:Speaking of this, I would like to suggest that the game (at some point) somehow indicate items that are from mods. It could be a symbol, a border, or a background color in the UI. It would just be really nice to clearly identify that a particular car body or door handle is from a mod.

That could be done right now by the modders, by adding some kind of watermark to the thumbnail image. And I agree, it would be welcome sometimes.
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Leonardo9613 wrote:That could be done right now by the modders, by adding some kind of watermark to the thumbnail image. And I agree, it would be welcome sometimes.

The problem here is that it works until one modder doesn't do it, which is fair enough - they don't have to and you can't make them.

Then it's even more confusing, because people will probably assume that it's not a modded part because it doesn't have a different thumbnail image.
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Sayonara wrote:
Leonardo9613 wrote:That could be done right now by the modders, by adding some kind of watermark to the thumbnail image. And I agree, it would be welcome sometimes.

The problem here is that it works until one modder doesn't do it, which is fair enough - they don't have to and you can't make them.

Then it's even more confusing, because people will probably assume that it's not a modded part because it doesn't have a different thumbnail image.

Exactly. It has to be done by the game automatically with no human interaction for it to function right.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19 am

There might be someway to tell the game to add a "mod" icon over the thumbnail of everything that's not inside the Gamedata/Camso folder.

It wouldn't work when people dump their mods in the Camso folder, but this breaks mod compatibility with other players anyway. It would work for workshop mods though.
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:27 pm

TrackpadUser wrote:There might be someway to tell the game to add a "mod" icon over the thumbnail of everything that's not inside the Gamedata/Camso folder.

It wouldn't work when people dump their mods in the Camso folder, but this breaks mod compatibility with other players anyway. It would work for workshop mods though.

Sounds good to me.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:46 pm

That is a very good idea, just put a little circled (M) in the thumbnail to show that's a mod. Thing is: we can't do that with our current UI without a lot of effort. This is something that will have to wait for UE4.
<<

Trifler

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Killrob wrote:That is a very good idea, just put a little circled (M) in the thumbnail to show that's a mod. Thing is: we can't do that with our current UI without a lot of effort. This is something that will have to wait for UE4.

Excellent :)

Return to Suggestions