<<

LilRedRhyder

Cars: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Manual
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Range

One of the many aspects people consider, in conjunction with fuel economy, is the tank size.
Or more directly, how far can it go on a tank.
Often cars with more efficient engines can have smaller tanks to go the same distance which saves on curb weight.
I've noticed that here in North America, for instant, most people want between 350 and 500 miles or so of range, though in diesels and hybrids they want 650 miles + (500-800 km and over 1000 for diesels and hybrids.)
It would be a neat implement for the tycoon part, as it would reign in some of the overtop designs people come up with.
Sure a 650 horsepower car is fast and great... but if it's only going to run 100 km between fillups... maybe not so good as a selling point.
Sometimes having a bigger tank offsets poor fuel economy by improving range.
For instance, in this market the average compact car has a 50 litre gas tank, where as a subaru will have 60, so it can go the same range as say an equivalent sized elantra.
Or for instance a Dodge Caliber, has a 55 Litre tank, but the suspension and exhaust modifications on an SRT4 version like mine, reduce the tank to 51 liters, coupled with higher fuel consumption of the 2.4 L turbo over even just the regular 2.4 Range is much shorter (we can JUST make 600 km on the highway if we don't go over 105 kph)

I just think that range can affect the demographic buying the car. Like in the case with the Ford GT. Great car, but it drinks fuel like it's free and infinite.
There are other neat ways this applies in vehicles as well. For instance the Ford F-150 in this market comes with a 2.7L Twin Turbo Ecoboost, and a 3.5L Twin Turbo Ecoboost, but also available unboosted V8's. While the V8's can tow more, they have significantly lower range due to higher consumption.

Actually towing rating might be a good demographic option for the tycoon part too. Less important on say a compact car, but significantly more important on a Truck or Full Size Van.

just my 0.02 for today :3
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Range

I'm guessing that larger fuel tanks would increase costs, decrease usable cargo/passenger volume, increase unfueled weight, and significantly increase fueled weight. It's definitely an interesting thought - I don't know how much it adds to the game, though. Greater drivability for greater range?
<<

LilRedRhyder

Cars: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Manual
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Aye.
For Instance a standard 1990's Ford Taurus has a 60 Liter tank, but 70 liters was an option. One I was very glad the original purchaser checked on my thirstier, than the normal model, SHO.
<<

Drake

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1986 Ford F-250 Diesel, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 2002 Saab 9-3 SE

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 pm

I think this is a pretty good idea... It shouldn't be too hard to implement either I would think.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:09 pm

While I agree with most things being said here, you are missing one important point: what selection / slider would you REPLACE it with? :) We have of course thought about tank size and how to potentially implement it, but it just doesn't make it onto the "important enough" list of things that deserve precious UI space.
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Killrob wrote:While I agree with most things being said here, you are missing one important point: what selection / slider would you REPLACE it with? :) We have of course thought about tank size and how to potentially implement it, but it just doesn't make it onto the "important enough" list of things that deserve precious UI space.

It is up to you and the other developers of course, but I do rather like the idea to select from a couple of differently sized tanks. Could you not add it to the UI that holds the drivetrain type and car colour sliders/selection currently? We do not need a quality slider for fuel tanks I would say and that UI over there should have enough room unless you are planning to add more important stuff there of course.
<<

Killrob

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Thing is, there are plenty of things we could add. I agree it would be a nice addition, that's not the issue. Feature creep is though, that is why I specifically asked what you would replace.
<<

stratoroc

Cars: Vibe GT failbox

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Killrob wrote:Thing is, there are plenty of things we could add. I agree it would be a nice addition, that's not the issue. Feature creep is though, that is why I specifically asked what you would replace.

Seat Count? Change seat count to be a function of interior style: Luxury and handmade interiors have at most 2 seats in the second row, if 3 in the back is the maximum for the body. Sport has only a front row, in a pickup this can replace the bench (3 people up front) with buckets (2 people). Standard and basic crams the full capacity into the car.

To me setting the fuel tank size which determines the range (fuel amount), and performance (total weight, change to weight and balance because of variation in fuel) is a lot more important than explicitly choosing how many people can seat in the back. Clarkson used to recommend the "base" Evo models because the higher performance ones had impractically short ranges because of tiny fuel tanks for example.
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 pm

I have to say that when I'm evaluating which car I want to buy I've NEVER care about the size of the gas tank. More important was for me the boot size and the seats.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

stratoroc

Cars: Vibe GT failbox

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:20 am

As the OP said in the US buyers want a large range in large and powerful cars which requires a large tank. Euro eco boxes still do not sell in the US market. Therefore an internationally sold car will need to either have a large enough range to appeal to 2 hour commutes and weekend warriors (the US market) at the expense of a larger trunk in the Euro market, or have multiple variations in terms of fuel tank sizes.
For reference I drive about 450 miles a week for work, I very much care about a car's range when in the market for one.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:31 am

That's interesting, I never thought about it like that. The way the Australian market seems to have headed, our reasoning is, if you want more range, then get a more economical car or you'll be bleeding money at the pump. So nobody here talks about range either, only about economy.

Also: cars with greater range by design happen to also be cars that are actually somewhat comfortable being on freeways etc. Things like the Hyundai i20 have good economy, yes, but their range isn't particularly high, nor would you really want to drive it on the freeway, it's vague and nervous as all hell :P
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:54 am

Range matters in rural areas where fuel stations are rare, and also in professional use where time is at premium not to be wasted on fuel stops. But I don't know if this is a feature this game really needs...

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:13 am

stratoroc wrote:For reference I drive about 450 miles a week for work, I very much care about a car's range when in the market for one.

Maybe, but for every buyer like you, there are dozens like me or NormanVauxhall who care more about things like seats and boot size.

I still don't think adding this choice would bring much to the game, especially since I can't really think of any major inconvenient putting a big ass fuel tank in all your cars would bring.

And it wouldn't make much sense to give them worse sportiness IMHO. Supercars tend to have very large fuel tanks. The Ferrari 458 has a 86L fuel tank for example, larger than what you find on the majority of cars, excluding maybe SUVs and Pickups.
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:57 pm

I'd make it remove comfort instead of make 'em less sporty. You'll have less space overall if you made a bigger tank.

As for whether I think it'd be worth having in game... Not as a choice you get to make by slider. Have it calculate your fuel tank size by how big your cargo space is, perhaps? Let it tell you in the Detailed Stats screen how big it is. Want a bigger tank? Increase that trunk size.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:31 am

Madrias wrote:I'd make it remove comfort instead of make 'em less sporty. You'll have less space overall if you made a bigger tank.

As for whether I think it'd be worth having in game... Not as a choice you get to make by slider. Have it calculate your fuel tank size by how big your cargo space is, perhaps? Let it tell you in the Detailed Stats screen how big it is. Want a bigger tank? Increase that trunk size.

Or DECREASE the trunk size in favor of tank size. Range is an important value for me since I do NOT want to stop every 3 hours for fuel just to g across my state, nor does my Uncle who lives 2 hours from ANY semblence of civilization, range is very important for him (hence the fuel tank in the bed as well). But we are still going to run into the UI space issue, I for one wouldnt mind seeing the slider bars go away in favor of a box with up and down arrows next to it, the sliders are just taking up space when we already get a numerical value for our tech points anyway and this extra space can be used for tank size or whatever else.
Next

Return to Suggestions