FAQ  •  Login

Vehicle Body suggestions

<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Vehicle Body suggestions

Desick wrote:An idea I have is more malleable base bodys. Like enlarging the Engine bays, making a "Old body" a new one, so there isn't the safety penalty. I'd love to see a brand new 30s truck on the road being as a new body. Or shoving a huge 15L V12 into a Miata by making the car 90% engine bay. Rather than the current constriction where you have to shrink the engine a bunch, I'd rather just pick a base body style and have it near infinitely malleable.
That's my suggestion for the vehicle body. I just feel constrained with what there is now.

Those things are unfortuately not possible with the way the game works, as the dimensions of the chassis are hard coded. As for the old bodies, that's something I've suggested before, and what was said is that retro styled bodies will be added for modern old-styled cars, rather than just having the old bodies that have a lot of differences from anything new yet retro. The safety penalty and market penalty for old bodies are still being developed, so the values you see now are not necessarily the final product.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Desick

Cars: Suzuki Aerio
Plymouth Acclaim

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:31 am

thecarlover wrote:
Desick wrote:An idea I have is more malleable base bodys. Like enlarging the Engine bays, making a "Old body" a new one, so there isn't the safety penalty. I'd love to see a brand new 30s truck on the road being as a new body. Or shoving a huge 15L V12 into a Miata by making the car 90% engine bay. Rather than the current constriction where you have to shrink the engine a bunch, I'd rather just pick a base body style and have it near infinitely malleable.
That's my suggestion for the vehicle body. I just feel constrained with what there is now.

Those things are unfortuately not possible with the way the game works, as the dimensions of the chassis are hard coded. As for the old bodies, that's something I've suggested before, and what was said is that retro styled bodies will be added for modern old-styled cars, rather than just having the old bodies that have a lot of differences from anything new yet retro. The safety penalty and market penalty for old bodies are still being developed, so the values you see now are not necessarily the final product.

So, there is no way to actually just like, have the values editable in the Vehicle customization stage? I figured just have that, and you are able to modify them to your heart contents. Obviously, it would be a bit of a deterrence to maybe some newer players, so you could hide it under an advanced editor. I just think it would be awesome to have a huge engine bay. Like in
<<

thecarlover

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:47 am

I'm a modder, so I learned about a lot of the features. The chassis and body are independent from each other, and since the body has a very specific 3d model with specified morphable zones, it would not be possible to simply have it stretch over the chassis. As for that body style, it would not be possible with the way that chassis are formed and how fixtures are stamped to the body (hence the 1940 start year). That crease between the front fenders and the engine compartment would have to be drastically reduced, and the grill would need to be pushed forward about as far as the fenders stick out at the front. Something similar to this would be possible:

It would need some minor modifications to the front design to work properly, but nothing that would drastically change the look of the car.

<<

Desick

Cars: Suzuki Aerio
Plymouth Acclaim

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:51 am

thecarlover wrote:I'm a modder, so I learned about a lot of the features. The chassis and body are independent from each other, and since the body has a very specific 3d model with specified morphable zones, it would not be possible to simply have it stretch over the chassis. As for that body style, it would not be possible with the way that chassis are formed and how fixtures are stamped to the body (hence the 1940 start year). That crease between the front fenders and the engine compartment would have to be drastically reduced, and the grill would need to be pushed forward about as far as the fenders stick out at the front. Something similar to this would be possible:

It would need some minor modifications to the front design to work properly, but nothing that would drastically change the look of the car.

Shame, I was just hoping I could have the cars stretched out more and to how I want. but, if its a limitation of the game itself, it is what it is. Just feels limited is all.
<<

thecarlover

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:04 am

That's what the inclusion of more bodies helps to solve. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are a few bodies that have large and small variants. It wouldn't be far-fetched to guess that other bodies would be available with larger/smaller variants, or with different proportions (such as the Miata or S2000 body with a longer nose). It's a lot easier to modify an existing body than to create one from scratch, so if modifying one can fill a gap in the availability, it's likely to be done. Granted all-new bodies are always more appreciated, it's still nice to have the variety in existing ones as well. :)

If you haven't done so already, check out the Steam workshop and the 3d Artist Modding Forum for user content, which includes a huge variety of bodies.

<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:37 pm

thecarlover, if I may make a suggestion, I wouldn't mind a version of that car you posted above. Would be a great way to have a narrow, yet long engine bay.

Alternatively, a sedan to fit somewhere in that era in Automation that is 100% hatchbacks would be nice.
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Madrias wrote:thecarlover, if I may make a suggestion, I wouldn't mind a version of that car you posted above. Would be a great way to have a narrow, yet long engine bay.

Alternatively, a sedan to fit somewhere in that era in Automation that is 100% hatchbacks would be nice.

We could do with something like this:

Coupe and sedan and 2- and 4-door convertible. The huge luxury 40s car that can swallow a V16.

Not committing to anything, but it's an idea.

<<

Madrias

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:46 pm

I like the look of that! Nice, big 40's vintage luxury car. Basically, a car that'll fit any engine you can imagine, with the height clearances to accept massive engines with tall carburettors, while looking stylish at the same time. Plus, having multiple variants solves a problem I've noticed with a lot of the bodies in game, where there's a lot of cars with one body style.

Not sure how the trunk on that car is handled (mostly, not able to see whether it's an integrated trunk or an actual trunk strapped to the back), but if it's a separate trunk, and you were to do that car or one very much like it, I'd love to see variants both with and without the body-painted metal trunk attached.
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Separate trunk wouldn't work with the way fixtures get stamped. And they have an integrated trunk that could be morphed quite easily:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _-_009.jpg

<<

Madrias

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:52 pm

I like that! And interesting to see it has wheel covers, too. That could be an interesting car to do, covering all the bases. I could see building a few of those types of cars in the early days of a car company, or using it for retro-styled modern builds. Or, really, any application where you need a big engine and lots of room.
<<

Cranlet

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:15 am

I'd like to see some more modern trucks, two types in specific. A midsize/compact truck (Like a Chevy Colorado or a Toyota Tacoma)
And a bigger truck (Like a Ford F-150, Dodge Ram, etc.)

I think a lot of people would benefit from having these as an option, since a lot of vehicles sold in North America are big trucks. I like having the more utilitarian trucks in the game too, but this would allow for a more comprehensive truck lineup.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:21 am

Cranlet wrote:I'd like to see some more modern trucks, two types in specific. A midsize/compact truck (Like a Chevy Colorado or a Toyota Tacoma)
]

I think a lot of people would benefit from having these as an option, since a lot of vehicles sold in North America are big trucks. I like having the more utilitarian trucks in the game too, but this would allow for a more comprehensive truck lineup.

All I can say is that I think the next update will make you happy ;)
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Madrias

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:46 pm

A crazy idea came to my mind lately of wanting to have something like a Toyota Prius with optional rear wheel covers. Kinda wanting to make something that can get ridiculously good mileage.
<<

thecarlover

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 am

I've suggested the Prius before, hoping to see it. I'm planning on making a VW XL-1 body at some point, with and without wheel covers, so that should work for ridiculous mileage :)

<<

Madrias

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 am

I kinda like the idea of the XL-1, but the reason I thought of the Prius was because it's a four-door car, and the idea behind having the wheel covers is just because I liked the way the first-generation Honda Insight looked with having them. Kinda combining the two in my mind to make effectively the best possible car from both: the four-door-five-seats of the Prius with the aerodynamics of both the Insight and the Prius, plus the interesting factor of a modern car with wheel covers.

Still, the XL-1 could be an interesting car to have.
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions