<<

Drake

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1986 Ford F-250 Diesel, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 2002 Saab 9-3 SE

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:39 am

Re: A general note on Tycoon-style games

It will be online multiplayer.

I recall someone asking about Twin Spark before; however, since it would require new cylinder head graphics its alot of work..
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 156 20v JTDm (212bhp remapped)

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 am

yeah but it is also car engine history as its not only alfa that used the style. merc also did and i think a few other brands.
oh yeah and b4 i forgot what about multi air tech?????? lol
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 am

also the multi player will it be one of the players are host or a dedicated server. player being host seems more simple right??????/
<<

Drake

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 am

I believe the plan is for players to host games. I assume there will be a save/load option so games can be played out over longer periods of time.

Also they mentioned the possibility of eventually having a more MMO style multiplayer where you would join game worlds that would take a longer period of time to play out. Like everyday being a few months or something like that. Thats would be expansion pack stuff though, or subscription based..

The problem with adding Twin Spark is Daffy would have to make new cylinder head graphics, and that is alot of work for very little gain.. You could try and convince him to add it in a engine expansion pack. (along with Flat8s, V4s, Wankel Rotarys and other less common engines that won't make in into the original release)

Edit: and multi-air tech?
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 am

http://www.automobilesreview.com/auto-n ... ogy/10851/
there is all the spec about multi air tech.

also i only thought it was the programming that is busy not the artwork. as i read the artwork is quite quiet in comparison
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 am

also cant belive u dont know about multi air tech as its as big leap for petrol cars as common rail was for diesel ones. oh and both were done by the fiat group lol.
<<

Drake

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 am

AlfaDave wrote:http://www.automobilesreview.com/auto-news/multiair-technology/10851/
there is all the spec about multi air tech.

also i only thought it was the programming that is busy not the artwork. as i read the artwork is quite quiet in comparison

I was under the opposite impression; that there is LOTS of artwork to be done. AFAIK its only I4 stuff thats done at the moment.. Then theres the bodies of the cars and stuff like that.

Multi-air sounds cool. I think anything that could be added that wouldn't require new artwork should be considered. I would also like to see things like the TVIS that was on 4AGE engine, or Variable Length Intake on quite a few cars of the 90's..

AlfaDave wrote:also cant belive u dont know about multi air tech as its as big leap for petrol cars as common rail was for diesel ones. oh and both were done by the fiat group lol.

Well since Fiat and Alfas are practically non-existant here we don't hear as much about that stuff. Sounds like a great idea though.. Im suprised I haven't heard anything about it until now.
<<

T16

8-Star Beta Tester
8-Star Beta Tester

Cars: AW11, 405 T16

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:55 am

Well it's quite new stuff. but yeah you should have heard about it. Multiair in it's current from would have practically no new artwork, although they plan to just have a pump instead of the camshaft, but thats the future.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 am

There is quite a lot of art, yes!

However a lot of the last year of work on my part was learning, working out how we were going to do things, refining our process for exporting art etc.

Also we now have pistons, conrods, valves etc. that can be used in all engines, and it won't be too hard to modify existing heads and blocks into different configs.

So, the engine stuff is fairly in the bag, probably only a few months work for me, but we certainaly don't want to add any EXTRA art at the moment though, as there IS still a lot of art of chassis, suspension, brakes, body panels, factory buildings... etc. :D

Please, go ahead and suggest things though, we actually do have a "That'll go in if we get to make an expansion" list! (Actually, I might even make a thread for it)
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Deus ex Machina

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: none

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

AlfaDave wrote:also cant belive u dont know about multi air tech as its as big leap for petrol cars as common rail was for diesel ones. oh and both were done by the fiat group lol.

but somehow they were too stupid to really exploit their common rail invention.
SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!

Excellent! Now we can attack in ALL directions.
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:39 pm

no they wanted to hold onto the common rail engine design but due to money and lack of funds coz for some reason people buy 10 year behind golfs rather than a decent car they had to sell the design to keep afloat
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:40 pm

trust me they really wanted to keep it to themself they would of wiped vw out of the market as all vw had was direct pd engines at the time
<<

Deus ex Machina

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: none

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:23 pm

and not starting a marketing campaign like VW did for their TDIs or audi for the quattro was wise how exactly?

common rail or PD is more or less a flavor question.

common rail has more comfort, PD was until recently more efficent
SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!

Excellent! Now we can attack in ALL directions.
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 pm

pd has never been more efficient where have u got that from. pd is basicly a direct injection diesel engine where each injector has its own pump and therefore only has a certain pressure it can achieve where as common rail has one pump and injector release mechanism for each injector so it can build its pressure very high and therefore the spray the injector does is at a higher pressure and far more like a mist rather than a spray so combustion burns a light mist rather than a spray. common rail diesels have always been more efficient.

vag group advertising their tdi engines basicly advertising fiats jtd engine that they brought the design for. the only reason vag group have the money to do all this advertising of other peoples tech is because stupid people buy into their advertising that they are the most reliable cars in the world when through experiance they are deffo not buy many of my firends they are terrible most have no faults through the year then take them for mot and they fail dredfully and have to have a bunch of repairs as they go way past emmisions only reason they thought they were running fine is because they are very low modified engines producing very little bhp and have very wide margins on optimum performance for the ecu. if they had the same engine in an alfa for instance you would get a warning light very early on as it would say there is a fault as ecu has very harsh parameters to go by as they normally run far higher bhp. i think audi's quatro was before vag group took over..

just think vag group this covers vw and audi have the same engine as alfa/fiat vag group class it as tdi fga class as jtd. vag get 136bhp from 1.9 or 140bhp in audi higher spec. and im talking about the 16v 1.9 diesel. fga got 150bhp out of same engine. only recently vag group have uprated the tdi engine to 150 so fga have said ok we will put 170bhp in 1.9. vag group have always been behind and always will. they never make anything new they just take old tech and brand it as new thats where you get your reliability illusion from. if any brand was to use old tech and down rate the bhp it would become reliable. but its like taking a spaceship and only using it to just touch the line of space then bring back. they are made for a job why under achieve
<<

AlfaDave

Official Tester
Official Tester

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:20 pm

common rail out did pd engines on every mark from 1997 by the way lower emmisions lower fuel consumption more bhp and more torque
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions