FAQ  •  Login

Car Throttle post on electric cars

<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Car Throttle post on electric cars

I made a post on Car Throttle about electric cars:

5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Should Take Over The Automotive Industry

I want your opinion on this so here is the link:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wv3kl88/

What do you want to happen to electric cars?
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Re: Car Throttle post on electric cars

honestly, i could care less about electric cars as long as i'm still able to drive my gas powered cars, when i'm not able to... well, i guess i could go for a V8 solenoid
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:17 pm

I like the idea of electric cars, as well as the promise that the product itself is emissions free. I'm also sympathetic to the competitive pressure generated by the evolving technological movements from the companies actively pursuing development of EVs. I'm more concerned about the method by which we generate electricity, and keen to see other technologies on the scene. (I've always been a fan of H2 power, though concede that it still faces significant logistical challenges).

The more I think about it, the less I feel the need to stay petrol. As long as the cars go, stop and turn well enough (and we know they can, for sure), I'm happy.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:36 pm

If I could buy a Model S P90D right now, I totally would.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 pm

They need to have style as well. The looks of most EVs are just...well...awful! I cannot figure out why all of the companies making EVs think they have to look completely different from "normal" cars. The Prius (hybrid, I know) was cute for a while, but the novelty wore off quickly and it is just butt ugly. Even the newer generations are butt ugly, and possibly even uglier than the first generation. The Leaf is quite possibly one of the ugliest cars ever produced. What's up with that ass end?? Somebody (other than TESLA) needs to make a car that looks like a petrol version but uses no petrol. Don't get me wrong...I would buy a TESLA in half a heartbeat, if I could afford such a thing, but $90k is just not in my budget. My current car cost me less than $18k, brand new, 8 years ago, and gets more than 35mpg, looks nice, moves quite well, and of course it is also now paid off completely. Give me a TESLA that isn't 2 years salary but looks and performs like it could be and I will be in line to get one.

I also tend to agree with strop on the electric production, but that isn't really an automotive industry thing where EVs are concerned. It would be great if they could produce electricity from cleaner methods like solar, wind, or hydro-electric, and less (or none!) from fossil fuels. These should and could have been eradicated in the 20th century, but obviously they were not. Passenger cars could almost certainly be powered by solar arrays, if the technology used with them would advance enough. Currently they cannot produce enough from cells to power and recharge batteries, and the size and density of the batteries contribute to the problem even further. My generation (GenX) needs to step up and advance what my father's generation started!
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:27 am

strop wrote:I like the idea of electric cars, as well as the promise that the product itself is emissions free. I'm also sympathetic to the competitive pressure generated by the evolving technological movements from the companies actively pursuing development of EVs. I'm more concerned about the method by which we generate electricity, and keen to see other technologies on the scene. (I've always been a fan of H2 power, though concede that it still faces significant logistical challenges).

The more I think about it, the less I feel the need to stay petrol. As long as the cars go, stop and turn well enough (and we know they can, for sure), I'm happy.

for what you said on generating electricity cleanly, there is a hydroelectric plany probably 40 miles away from me, and they do have car charging spots there, so if i always wanted to drive 40 miles i could cleanly recharge my car lol
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 13 Nissan Pathfinder
99 Nissan Frontier
84 Jeep CJ7 (rock crawler)

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:42 pm

We have even had discussions on the feasibility of building an electric rock crawler. The technical issues are generally with burning up the circuits when things get bogged down.
Desert Mountains Automotive Specializing in high reliability cars and trucks for more demanding needs.
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Skoda Felicia Combi 1.3 MPi LXi

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:44 pm

No, thank you. The more I think about it, the more I'm afraid of the future.
There is some definite appeal in having control over thousands of explosions per minute powering the car the electricity just cannot compare too.
There is some definite appeal in the auditory experience an actual ic engine provides (really, the synthetic engine sounds are only good, if you have, let's say, a game, in which you have to have the sounds of multiple types of engines, varying depending on the engine's design)
There simply is some definite appeal in driving an actual car and not a toy.

Which is why I am definitely more keen towards the development of algae biofuels.
<<

PMP1337

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Fiat Brava

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:57 am

Kubboz wrote:Which is why I am definitely more keen towards the development of algae biofuels.

Internal combustion engines are inefficient compared to electric motors.
When the energy storing evolves electric will dominate.

I don't see why some car guys hate electric as much. When it becomes mainstream, there will me more freedom to combustion engines. Since the only people that will use them will be enthusiasts. Fuel will be cheap, legislation will be more forgiving, taxes lower.

I didn't believe in EV but after the Model S... It's not just a good EV, it's a great car.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:31 am

Fuel is only cheap because so much is bought each year, those of us reading this probably won't be around when the full change over happens, but when electric cars are main stream the cost of most fuel products will probably start to rise quite a bit. Its still a pretty involved process to find it, drill it out, ship it to a refinery, separate out the different grades, then ship that to storage facilities, there's a huge amount of over head that needs to be in place to keep the flow going. Bio ethanol is the best bet for that all electric future, or just good old fashioned homemade moonshine cars.
Last edited by nialloftara on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:05 am

Am I the only person who saw Top Gear's discussion about electric cars? The Nickel needed to make these "Zero Emissions" vehicles has to be mined out of the ground in Canada, sent over in a big boat to Europe, where it can be refined, then sent to China to be turned into a foam for the batteries, then Japan, where they can make the batteries. In the long run, it does more damage to the enviornment than a Range Rover. Plus, because of the whole Zero EVs thing, (Here in the U.S. anyways) with the horridly messed up credits system, car makers basically have no choice but to lie to us in order to get more sales. That said, I'm not against Electric cars, I just want them to be marketed honestly.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:33 am

I alluded to collateral concerns...

strop wrote:...I'm more concerned about the method by which we generate electricity, and keen to see other technologies on the scene...

...though I didn't mention the issues with fabrication, so thanks for expanding on that. As Kristina said, where we get the electricity from may not be the automotive industry's concern, but how the cars are made definitely is.
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:48 am

Did that sound like a Jab? I was referring a lot more to the article than the people who responded. Apologies.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:05 am

I didn't see it as a jab, I only wished to tie it in with the theme about broader environmental concerns. It's a very pertinent point after all.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:16 am

DoctorNarfy wrote:Am I the only person who saw Top Gear's discussion about electric cars?

While I like Top Gear, I wouldn't call them a reliable information source, especially when they showed that they are extremely biaised against electric cars.

Decent sources say that EV do in fact use more energy for their fabrication, but most of the energy used by the car over its lifecycle comes from driving the car, and that's more than enough for the EV's to win in terms of pollution caused over their lifetime, at least when the energy comes from a somewhat clean source.
Next

Return to General Chat