Question for the Community - Region Groupings

<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 am

Question for the Community - Region Groupings

Region Groupings... this is a part we aren't too sure on, so figured I would see what everyone thinks.

These are the things that you have to consider.

Countries that are grouped MUST share land borders or very short shipping routes (across a bay for example, like a ferry trip), as you wont be able to ship internally to a region by sea as such.

A region will share its taxes, buyer preferences, taxes, laws and regulations across that whole region. So grouped countries need to be very similar in these aspects.

Former USSR states must be seperate from non USSR ones, as they will need to open up in 1990.

And (Open to debate) Regions should probably be broadly similar in terms of market size, if its a whole lot of small countries with very small population, it should be grouped so there is enough of a market to sell something.

Here is the current list (ignore the hex colours after regions, that is just how the map is defined)

So, give us your feedback :)

Americas

* Canada - ff00de
* West Coast (Washington, Oregon, Cali, Nevada) - cade24
* East Coast (New York State, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts,Connecticut, Pensylvania, Virginia, West Viginia, N&S Carolina, Florida) - b7420e
* "Pickup Truck" States :P (All Others incl Alaska) - 291192

* Mexico - e37400
* Brazil - 985b1b
* All other Central and South American States - ff953f

Europe

* Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland) 48ff00
* UK & Ireland - 133601
* France - 000cff
* Spain & Portugal -ffe400
* Italy - ff0000
* Germany & Austria (West Germany only until 1990) - adaaaa

* Netherlands & Belgium -ff5500

* Czech & Slovakia & Slovenia & Hungary & Croatia & Bosnia & Albania & Serbia & Macedonia, Kosovo, Bulgaria, Montengro -054c3d
* Turkey, Greece, Cyprus - 0879f9

Eastern Bloc (Locked until 1990)

* Romania, Moldova, Ukraine - fc4343
* Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus -2fad92
* Russia (and others) - d72e2e

Middle East

* Saudi, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Israel, Kuwait - 917348
* Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan - a16a1c

Asia

* Pakistan, Kashmir, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka - 472929
* China, Nepal, Bhutan, Taiwan, Mongolia - 650000
* Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Burma - 572e4d
* Malaysia, Singapore - 00f6ff
* Indonesia, PNG, Philipines - e0b4d5
* Japan - ffffff
* South Korea - b7ff8c

Oceania

* Australia & New Zealand - ffcd47

Africa

* South Africa - 0a0686
* Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique, Madagascar, Angola, Zambia, Tanzania, DR Congo, Kenya, Gabon, etc... - 2a8c4f
* Eqypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco - 051049
* All others banded together - 3d2c4c
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Automobilist

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: Question for the Community - Region Groupings

Europe

* Czech & Slovakia & Slovenia & Hungary & Croatia & Bosnia & Albania & Serbia & Macedonia, Kosovo, Bulgaria, Montengro -054c3d

Czech and Slovakia as Czechosslovakia also Hungary and Bulgaria were part of eastern bloc.

Croatia & Bosnia & Serbia & Macedonia, Kosovo and Montenegro, belonged to yugoslavia and were not directly part of eastern bloc.

Albania belonged more or less to nothing after the death od Stalin. Curiously they imported nearly no other cars than Mercedes-Benz. :lol:

Code:
* Turkey, Greece, Cyprus - 0879f9

That might make sense but I wuoldn't tell it somebody from that countries. :lol:

* Germany & Austria (West Germany only until 1990) - adaaaa

Would that include Switzerland?

* China, Nepal, Bhutan, Taiwan, Mongolia

A bit Problematic, China an Mongolia were communist, the others not.

* South Korea

I do not really know, but until the 1980s there was maybe not much car industry in South-Korea at all. Strangely North-Korea has a small car Industry since about 1950.

All in all it might be an opportunity to look which countries have a car-industry and put some to that which have no car-industry.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Excellent, that is some good stuff for us to think about already :)
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Mesa88

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: MB C180, 1998 Sport
MB C220 CDI, 2000 Esprit

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 pm

I would like to point out that even thoug scandinavian countries are similar in most ways there is a few differances.

This is very true with regards to the cost of buying cars. I you go and buy any car i Norway whou pay close to double what the same car would cost in Sweden or Denmark (not sure about Finland/Iceland) And because it is INSANLY expensive to buy a car with a large engiene almost 70% of new cars sold in Norway in 2010 had a diesel-engiene with about 100HP. So the basic differance between Norway and the rest of Scandinavia is the fact that if you sell a mid-sized sedan in Noway, most buyers will buy it with the smallest engiene available. While in the rest of Scandinavia buers will more often opt for a larger engiene.
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 pm

There's two Burma in the list.

Well Thailand and Laos tax are so much different, In Thailand you know what it is already, We talk about this not so long ago.

But in Laos. They didn't have a Factory in the country so cheap car are more expensive.

But Import car in Laos Compare to the Thailand one are so much f*cking cheaper If Thai need to Import every car. My Honda City Will cost as much as Accord.

Also Laos car are LHD Thai are RHD.
uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

Automobilist

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Well Thailand and Laos tax are so much different, In Thailand you know what it is already, We talk about this not so long ago.

That's right as well as Laos was a colony of France until 1954 while Thailand/Siam never was a colony.

This is very true with regards to the cost of buying cars. I you go and buy any car i Norway whou pay close to double what the same car would cost in Sweden or Denmark (not sure about Finland/Iceland) And because it is INSANLY expensive to buy a car with a large engiene almost 70% of new cars sold in Norway in 2010 had a diesel-engiene with about 100HP. So the basic differance between Norway and the rest of Scandinavia is the fact that if you sell a mid-sized sedan in Noway, most buyers will buy it with the smallest engiene available. While in the rest of Scandinavia buers will more often opt for a larger engiene.

Yes that's a interesting point, while e.g. Sweden and Norway are close together, they have on the on hand still a very different taxation system on the other hand they are both members of the European Union so that there are no customs tarriffs.

If you want to make the game realistic, you have probably to draw in every single State (Ok, ignoring very little States). Problematic might be that the player might need an assistant than for global playing and somebody would need to collect or devise data for the single states.
<<

RedRiot

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 200E

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:36 pm

I think the regions posted by Daffy are OK. Hungary and Bulgaria were also Eastern block countries, that's all I would correct.

I don't think that micromanaging the prices in every single country would be fun. The region system posted above makes this process more simple, but doesn't kill realism IMHO.
<<

Automobilist

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 am

In general you are probably right, but maybe it would be also interesting not to become a global player and see how long you can survive as a small company that only operates in a relatively small market. E.g. the European car-makers were much smaller than the companies in the states.
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 am

Burma doesn't have Car industry at all. no Factory or anything. Most of the car in Burma are old one. Because Dictatorship. So no.

Cambodia also didn't have Car industry. Cars in Cambodia are Secondhand Import one from around the world. So no.

Vietnam on the other hand is more exciting to make a car industry. Cars are coming in Vietnam not so long ago. But now they want cars , A lot of cars. (Even know they use Motorcycles a lot.) also labour are cheaper than in Thailand. So moved your factory to Vietnam when you can. :lol:
uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

T16

8-Star Beta Tester
8-Star Beta Tester

Cars: AW11, 405 T16

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:28 am

Mesa88 wrote:I would like to point out that even thoug scandinavian countries are similar in most ways there is a few differances.

This is very true with regards to the cost of buying cars. I you go and buy any car i Norway whou pay close to double what the same car would cost in Denmark.

No, new car prices are fairly similar in Norway and Denmark where as Sweden and Germany(Of course not a part of Scandinavia but it’s close to me than Sweden) have cheaper cars, guess why.
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Skoda Felicia Combi 1.3 MPi LXi

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:25 am

And my question is: why there couldn't just be multiple region maps, which would differ by region placement?
<<

RedRiot

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 200E

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 am

Automobilist wrote:In general you are probably right, but maybe it would be also interesting not to become a global player and see how long you can survive as a small company that only operates in a relatively small market.

You could do that with the region-setup posted by Daffy: for example UK & Ireland is one region. It would be possible to start a firm like the Morgan, design a sports car in 1950 and produce 30pcs in year 'till game over, and sell them in the UK only. For small companies and small markets I still don't find necessary to handle every country in the world as a seperate region.
<<

zeussy

Developer - Lead Programmer
Developer - Lead Programmer

Cars: A crashed 1992 Suzuki Cappuccino

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:43 pm

great discussion going here guys, it really helps. Thanks a lot, particular information on individual regions, this really helps a lot.

Allowing the game to be moddable, to allow custom region maps, and region data would not be hard.

Currently (although could change at any moment) the region map corresponds to a multicolour picture, with each region have a flat unique colour (hence the hex codes we posted) and a large spreadsheet for input data.

This will probably get more complex later on to cope with novel tax issues, e.g. The UK's road tax based on bore size, but the basic data such as population size and demographics are just stored inside a spreadsheet.

We like the idea of less regions, and thanks for correcting us for getting the eastern block wrong. We built these regions thinking about their importance on a world scale, rather than a local scale.

There are a lot of differences between individual states, but the groupings were built to give a broad picture of the region. So with Norway, Finland and Sweden it was grouped with road/driving conditions and affluence in mind, as they are first world countries. Tax's and other costs would be a form of average over the region.

T
Lead Progammer (The Guy that makes stuff happen!)

Follow us on
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/AutomationGame

Come chat to us at http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Deus ex Machina

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: none

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 am

iirc in the second half of the 90s an audi A4 sedan in austria cost between 70 and 100% LESS than in denmark, just because of taxes, which, for an austrian, made it cheaper to buy it in denmark and self import it to austria, since u pay only the austiran taxes and the manufactureres try to counter the high taxes with a reduced base price.
SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!

Excellent! Now we can attack in ALL directions.
<<

aliefbielefeld

Cars: 2010 Daihatsu Terios,1984 Honda Civic(good ones),and my national car

Post Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 am

Daffy and Zeuss are you have telepathy with me coz what you think about the region is
exactly same like me and here in Indonesia(f*cking country)cars(especially from Japan)
is no different,a little rebadging and that was it.And we also imported cars from Thailand
with exactly same model and also in South East Asia there's a lot of rubbish Japanese Cars
like Toyota and Honda
And There's my neighbour The Moron Malaysia :evil: :evil: were always rebadging
cars from around the world with their dumb brand like Perodua,Naza,Proton they're just
rebadging Daihatsu's,Mitsubishi's,Peugeot's
thats all i know,hope its help
and one question:can i built a formula car ??????
Porsche and Aston Martin are all shit,Really hideous
Next

Return to General Chat