<<

XYReis

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2007 Mazda5 TX 2.0 110HP
1995 Alfa Romeo 145 1.6 105HP

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:02 pm

An alternative to Automation

Automation is a great game and all - I've spent at least 100 hours in it, but as you learn more about engines and how they work you might wish for more customization options (eg. separate cam duration/lift/separation controls) for your engine.
Of course, the game shouldn't be overwhelming to people who are new to this stuff and I understand the simplification of some things, but if you ever want to "build" a fully custom engine, you should definitely check out Engine Analyzer Pro.

It's a very nice program which essentially lets you create your own engine with pretty much no constraints (You can have 2 GT60 turbos bolted onto a B18 that revs to 20,000rpm) and you get a LOT of info about it - for each rpm step, you can see the exhaust backpressure, piston speed, CFM, etc.
There's also Drag Analyzer Pro by the same company that (obviously) lets you simulate a drag race with your own tranny/body/axle/engine/whatever setup.
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:12 am

Re: An alternative to Automation

They're two completely different games... the way you call it an "alternative" makes it sound as if you don't even like Automation. Honestly, what was the point in posting this?
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 am

Those are actual dyno simulators to help you build actual race engines, I fiddled around with those simulators before I found Automation and you just cant compare them. The CLOSEST I have found to Automation is Gear City and even then...........yeah, Gear City goes more in depth with building your car (making a gearbox SUCKS, no fun, Automation devs got it correct here) but that is about it, you cant compare them graphics wise either since GC seems to be built for 90s PCs.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:49 am

I'd also add that Engine Analyser Pro costs a few hundreds.

As for GearCity, while I hope it becomes a great game, but I seriously dislike the slideriness of its car and engine designers, as well as the very high level of micromanagment. It shows decent examples of how not to do things, although from what I understand the dev wants to fix those issues.
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:34 pm

GearCity is fucking awful...
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:40 pm

These are the exact products I reccomend when someone wants an actual engine simulator :)
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:05 am

YEP!! But in no real way do I find them "fun", there is no end point, no progression, no goal save for the one you set yourself. Just a simulator for work IMO.
<<

AlternateSteve90

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: A 2000 Ford Expedition.

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Sounds like a cool program, TBH, and I also remember using CarTest(as old '90s DOS program) back in the day.....that was hella fun to play around with. Even so, though, even CarTest can't really compare to Automation.
<<

Oskiinus

Cars: Not a car, but I own Arkus Classic Junior in black ;)

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 pm

Microwave wrote:GearCity is fucking awful...

GearCity only wins in matter of possible car model years - you can create a car even from 1901.
CEO of Airborne Automotive, Airborne Motor Group and Co-CEO of it's sub-brands :D
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5895 - Thread!
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:27 am

True, but I guess the saying "quality, not quantity" applies here.
EVERYTHING in GearCity has a slider, most of them don't even have any values either. That's why it's bloody awful.
<<

freeman

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Porsche 911 Carrera S (997 Pre-Facelift)

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 am

Microwave wrote:True, but I guess the saying "quality, not quantity" applies here.
EVERYTHING in GearCity has a slider, most of them don't even have any values either. That's why it's bloody awful.

It follows a different design approach compared to Automation - that's for sure. It's not awful though, not by a long shot. As opposed to Automation (which I also love dearly), it is actually fully playable in its current state and, altogether, a lot of fun if you're into the actual tycoon stuff. Automation wins in the actual vehicle/engine design department - it obviously cannot compete on the tycoon side of things yet - and, if we're being honest, you're only moving sliders about in Automation as well, it's just visualized better ;)

Also, GC is being developed by just one single dude, who has put a lot of effort into it and is just a really nice guy in general. Calling his game "awful" is just extremely unfair. Daikatana is an awful game - GC certainly isn't.
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:56 am

The game just seems half assed. Also, if you read closer, you'd notice that I said:
Microwave wrote:most of them don't even have any values either.

You're just aimlessly dragging sliders around all the time, and half the time you don't even know how much they affect the final product.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:39 am

freeman wrote:It follows a different design approach compared to Automation - that's for sure. It's not awful though, not by a long shot. As opposed to Automation (which I also love dearly), it is actually fully playable in its current state and, altogether, a lot of fun if you're into the actual tycoon stuff. Automation wins in the actual vehicle/engine design department - it obviously cannot compete on the tycoon side of things yet - and, if we're being honest, you're only moving sliders about in Automation as well, it's just visualized better ;)

Also, GC is being developed by just one single dude, who has put a lot of effort into it and is just a really nice guy in general. Calling his game "awful" is just extremely unfair. Daikatana is an awful game - GC certainly isn't.

Yeah, it's less car focused, and more focused on being like the tycoon games of old. Personally I don't enjoy it much, and think it has some kind of frustrating UI and game design choices. But It's not awful as such. Just somewhat flawed and not quite my thing.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

freeman

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Porsche 911 Carrera S (997 Pre-Facelift)

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Microwave wrote:The game just seems half assed. Also, if you read closer, you'd notice that I said:
Microwave wrote:most of them don't even have any values either.

You're just aimlessly dragging sliders around all the time, and half the time you don't even know how much they affect the final product.

They may not have values - but they clearly state what they will do and the final result is always shown at the bottom of the screen. If what you're doing is "aimless" it's not the game's fault in this case. Automation used to be a much worse offender in this regard - remember when stuff like the "Offroad" stat wasn't shown in the top left? It was a huge pain and a lot of guesswork to work on that stat. It's much more usable now, of course.
<<

Bordom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1996 A4 Quattro 2.8/ 174bhp @5500 RPM / 184 ft-lbs @3000

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Back in the earlier versions of Gear City (Where it would crash for no reason and after x amount of turns), I made a cool $800 million selling cars from 1900-1930. Did it take forever to get the hang of it though
Company Name: Westaur Automotive Co.
Date of Inception: 12th Feb. 1924
Slogan: "Westaur - Elegance of Evolution "
Specialization: Technological Innovation
HQ Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Next

Return to General Chat