FAQ  •  Login

i feel as if i'm missing something

<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:49 pm

i feel as if i'm missing something

so i've been playing automation for nearly a year now and i consider myself halfway decent at the game, but no matter how many cars i make i still feel as if i'm missing something big, because it seems to take hours or even days for some of the other guys to make their car while it takes me only about 20 minutes for a practical result, because while the car is practical in all aspects i still feel as if i'm missing something major, it could just be one of my hunches that is incorrect (if so just tell me) or i can be missing something huge, here's a car i just made, it's a good base point to summarize me and the current state of my "company"
cpufreak101 - Courtner.zip
(85.83 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

oppositelock

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: i feel as if i'm missing something

I'd like to give it a shot, but for some reason this car crashes my game. Even tried extracting it twice. Anyone else having problems?
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:49 pm

oppositelock wrote:I'd like to give it a shot, but for some reason this car crashes my game. Even tried extracting it twice. Anyone else having problems?

The error says something about a missing fixture, probably a custom badge.
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Do you tune the suspension? Doing just the external fixtures would take me about 30 mins alone. I could spend hrs working on a car, most of the time is spent on the engine, gearbox for best balance between acceleration and economy and suspension for best balance between comfort and performance.
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:41 pm

cpufreak101 wrote:because it seems to take hours or even days for some of the other guys to make their car while it takes me only about 20 minutes for a practical result

Upon what basis are you making that statement and what do you actually think it means? At least in sandbox mode, different people spend different amounts of time on their cars: some can spend 20 minutes and come up with something good, but then spend hours not knowing what to call it. Through the beta testing phase for the latest release, for any given target demographics, I would make a model within 10 minutes, and spend maybe 5 more on several trims, and have something that suited the designated criteria.

Those who spend hours or days on their cars are more likely to either have more specific visions on what they want their car to be, or are less decisive. Not all changes are kept. More time spent doesn't actually mean more went into the car, since we all have the same amount of options to play with. I think I'm probably the slowest player by a big margin, as it takes me months (not an exaggeration) to settle on the final design of a car, during which I will probably have worked and reworked it three or four times. During this time, I revisit absolutely every aspect of the car. That's because of the way I see my fantasy company, and weigh the importance of the extremely small lineup, such that I won't accept anything less than 100% confidence that the car I release represents the company. But then again, I'm notorious for my extreme OCD when it comes to car design. My point there is, I certainly wouldn't hold anybody else to the same standard, or think that any other car that hasn't had months of development is going to be missing something. The beauty of this simulation is, the hard information is in the numbers.

As we can't actually get your car to work, would you mind providing screenshots of the stats etc.?
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:48 pm

strop, its because some LP's i seen some vids were about an hour long with time lapse, and i don't really tune the suspension since i have no clue what i'm doing
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 pm

I see what you mean there at least. I don't follow many LPs, but I do know (actually, you would to lol) that suspension tuning was like trying to stab a ninja in the dark until much more recently :lol: Even the presets don't optimise things completely, though they can be helpful in pointing you a certain direction. Now, with the live updating stats, tuning suspension whichever way you wish is actually quite easy, so shouldn't take that long anymore, unless you go back and change something else that changes the balance... that used to be something I spent hours on, now it's something I spend maybe a few minutes!
<<

8bs

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:47 pm

Well, your car could have some improvements. :)

IMO it suffers from bad drivability.

Check your Brakes. Check Braking distance and brake fade. Now, change the brakes for Ventilated Discs w/ 2 pistons. See the difference in Drivability, Brake Distance and Brake fade (the less the better)! It's more expensive having a good braking system but it pays off (i.e.) when you want to sell the car in a Market where the consumers pay attention to those factors.

Check the wheelspin on the Gearbox Tab. Try other solutions and compare them.

Check also Cooling Tab. Is a bit to high. There's a minimum cooling that the engine needs. The good side is: the higher cooling, higher reliability. Downside: Less aerodynamic efficiency, more fuel consumption, less top speed.

In general, move quality sliders, try/choose different components, and make a balance between cost & benefit. Higher stats vs low cost & low production units are always welcomed! :geek:
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:36 am

Okay, found the custom badge and had a look.

With the new scoring systems coming in, it is generally in a manufacturer's best interests to make brakes with minimum brake fade. Also note that the 'brake ventilation' feature is not often all that useful, so long as you can use sufficiently good brakes to eliminate fade. The only other thing I would add is that while the smaller exhaust gives you a few extra Nm in the low range, and better economy, it also costs a lot up the top end, so my personal preference would be to open it up just a notch.

8bs has pretty much summarised the issues with the car, but all those issues don't need a whole lot of time to fix tbh. And a car like this doesn't benefit much from OCD tweaking of the suspension. As long as you pick the right components, even without playing with tech sliders you should be able to get a car approaching 48-50 drivability easy. Otherwise it makes a pretty decent Family utility type vehicle, and if you're not spending huge amounts of time on the cars, it's all the better for you when playing through tycoon mode!
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:10 am

strop wrote: some can spend 20 minutes and come up with something good, but then spend hours not knowing what to call it.

I can relate to that.

Cpu, I don't think that spending little time on your car, if you can have a decent result, is a bad thing. I tend to do quite well on community challenges, yet I don't spend more than one hour making a car. On the BRC55, in which my car is on the top 10, I spend just under one hour in total. And on most market/consumer approval challenges, I spend between 20 and 30 minutes on my cars, and they have a high tendency to come second on those...
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:49 am

Well thank you guys, I guess it was just another one of my incorrect feelings
<<

TofuWarrior

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: No license!

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:37 am

I have the same issue. Suspension is my weak point.
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:09 am

But you're Tofuwarrior! Initial D is all about the suspension!
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

TofuWarrior

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: No license!

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:44 am

utopian201 wrote:But you're Tofuwarrior! Initial D is all about the suspension!

Nevermind, I totally just figured out how to do it very easily. :lol:

Return to General Chat