FAQ  •  Login

Low MPG

<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:42 am

Low MPG

I need tips on how to make a car wiht high MPG because everytime I try it ends up at max 18 MPG. Need help!
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:49 am

Re: Low MPG

The fuel economy for my cars has generally never been a strong point for me either...

There are the simple techniques, such as making your engine run maximum lean fuel mixture, and making your exhaust smaller, to including an "Overdrive" gear, where you select a 5 speed transmission for example, but make the fourth gear max out at the top speed.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 am

download/file.php?id=15651

Here's a sample car I made for a different thread, it has about 40mpg and made to compete with the European ford focus.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:20 pm

You just gotta mess around with tuning. Compression, bore/stroke, cam profile, turbo settings (if you're using one), A/F mixture, timing, exhaust type/size, all have an effect on MPG. Higher compression/timings and lower cam/fuel/exhaust will all help raise MPG. Turbos can destroy MPG if you do it wrong, but I sure can't help with those things. Keep fuel lower than 13.9-ish, keep cam below 60 (25-ish is just about ideal for MPG on most engines), keep timing above 50, and go with higher compression ratios. Keep the exhaust tuned for the engine output. Better airflow usually equals better efficiency, up to a point. Same for intakes. Flatter torque curves generally give better efficiency too. If you keep efficiency above 25% and don't put hamster wheels in barges, you should be seeing 25-30 mpg easily. Negating top gear by pushing it above top speed is a good trick for the numbers game, but won't really help if you're looking to do a challenge like BRC, though.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:56 pm

I still think that carbs are massively nerfed/broken on MPGs, a well tuned Ford 300 from the 60s-80s with a single barrel could get well into the 20s (even in the trucks), in game the single barrels never get more than the low teens, you need to put a 2bbl or 4bbl on to get better efficiency.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:59 am

I agree. It isn't likely to get 40+ mpg from a carb setup (but not really impossible either), but 20+ should certainly be doable with regularity on a variety of engines using single or double barrel carbs.

Return to General Chat