FAQ  •  Login

Flywheel

<<

OriginalUsername

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Flywheel

Hi all,

I'm kind of new to the forum as I only just got the game 3 days ago. Just gotta say that I absolutely love this game (even in its current unfinished form) and the effort the small dev team is putting in.

Searching the forum, I am aware that early in the game's development there used to be a setting for the flywheel size/weight.
Why was this removed and any chance of it being restored once the devs are less busy?

I watched the Q&A youtube video and am aware that the devs have to draw the line somewhere as to the game's complexity (e.g. removing the 3 separate settings for the cams).
However, I personally think that one slider for flywheel size/weight which affects engine smoothness and responsiveness, etc wouldn't overly complicate the gameplay mechanics and could actually improve the engine builder experience.

Cheers
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: Flywheel

The game's UI is quite tight as it is, and adding another slider wouldn't help. Also, it is something that would fall under the quality sliders. It's not something that is of too much importance when building a car.

That being said, I'm sure the devs have talked about it before, and if not, is is something that they should discuss, as it is not a bad idea by any means.

PS: This would belong in the Suggestions forum!
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

OriginalUsername

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Just realised I wrongly posted this in general chat. If one of the moderators can move this thread to suggestions, that'd be great.
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:40 pm

The European mod team is asleep, don't worry about it. It's not that much of a big deal, you won't be comdemned to hell for it.
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Doesn't really matter that much where this is posted ;)
The flywheel slider was removed because it didn't fit in anywhere logical really, and by now something else would have to go for it. It is a choice that ALMOST makes it into the game though, if we find more space or get rid of something else in the right place it might come back, but better don't hope for it :)
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 pm

I think at the moment some space into the engine deisgner, into the top end tab (where is color and type of cover) could be find out for a flywheel slider.
Now that are engine variants, i think that the slider will find better place into the engine designer instead of the trasmission/trim.

Maybe also relate the rpm gaining and loss with it could be a appealing addtion.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:12 pm

From what I understand about flywheels, when the flywheel is heavy, it makes the engine smoother, less responsive and obviously, heavier :D

And at the other end of the scale it does the opposite.

But like Killrob said, UI space is currently a problem. It might be possible to fit something by squishing everything together in one of the tabs, but it wouldn't be visually appealing, and might cause some issues with the length of strings in other languages (the french translation already has issues on that aspect.)

Return to General Chat