FAQ  •  Login

Car Reviewing

<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu May 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: Car Reviewing

And on that note, fresh off the printing press!

Cars referred to are here (I've updated the post with the other cover to include links to the cars too):
Velocity Firehawk: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4135&p=35894#p35897
Lyka Allero: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4120&p=35718#p35716
Superturismo One: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4130#p35858
Mostri Pescado: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4044&p=34634#p34634
Last edited by utopian201 on Thu May 29, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Thu May 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Who are the two people who have been selected by Cheeseman to write reviews?
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Thu May 29, 2014 2:45 pm

I thought I sent the correct engine.... to cheeseman. what happened?
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu May 29, 2014 2:48 pm

UltimateBMWfan wrote:1966 FMU Cacique
Reliability
...The engine lasts for around 42 thousand kilometers...

Running Costs
...Other than that, the only other problem is the engine, with a recommended service interval of 42 thousand kms, you'll have to keep your fingers crossed that nothing has broken on that engine, or else it'll be a hefty repair bill.

Should service interval be differentiated from mean time before failure?
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Thu May 29, 2014 3:25 pm

utopian201 wrote:
UltimateBMWfan wrote:1966 FMU Cacique
Reliability
...The engine lasts for around 42 thousand kilometers...

Running Costs
...Other than that, the only other problem is the engine, with a recommended service interval of 42 thousand kms, you'll have to keep your fingers crossed that nothing has broken on that engine, or else it'll be a hefty repair bill.

Should service interval be differentiated from mean time before failure?

ehm.. fror a weird reason the car was sent with the wrong engine
<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2007 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Ghia

Post Thu May 29, 2014 5:42 pm

I completely forgot to mention this on the thread! Sorry (again).

The new reviewers are UltimateBMWfan and pleb. I will be writing special reviews when I have time along with some help from WizzyThaMan who will be doing some fancy editing here and there depending on how the reviewing is done. Once there are enough reviews done I will also start work on car comparisons.

@Manche - Ah. It seemed right to me because the engine had the same amount of power as the one specified in the model that you sent me. Please be a bit more careful when sending the files and double check on the game that it is the engine with the same name and same revision number.

I have spotted a couple of errors other than the service interval/reliability in the review and also there is one too many stars on the running costs section, because four stars does not match the paragraph below it :P

That's all :)
<<

boyercam

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Nissan Micra
VW Passat

Post Thu May 29, 2014 8:17 pm

You've done the background nicely, and removed the room from the cars.

How did you do it so well, it might be useful for the adverts I make.

Ps, If you need any help with future magazine designs, I would be more than happy to help :)
[img]i.imgur.com/EAp8ptp.png?1[/img]
Link to hammond >> http://i.imgur.com/QtZe0n2.gif

My Car company:
Wosa - Driving Innovation
Car Company ID: #2013111 - http://tinyurl.com/l4e3ybz
<<

Valleriani

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Thu May 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Very nice guys, I really like the magazine design too!
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Fri May 30, 2014 1:45 am

Everything should be fixed now...At least I hope so.
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: I have TWO Peugeots. Please feel sorry for me.

Post Fri May 30, 2014 3:14 am

UltimateBMWfan wrote:Everything should be fixed now...At least I hope so.

Looks good to me. :)

NOTE: I will be starting reviews in a few days as my laptop is STILL at HP having its hard drive replaced. They said 'no later than Tuesday (27th)', but that's HP for you! So if there isn't as many reviews as you would expect, blame HP. Obviously this doesn't mean no reviews at all, since we have UltimateBMWfan also writing reviews. Sorry for the inconvenience guys :(
<<

USDMFTW

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Saturn SL2
Look i have DOHC :P

Post Fri May 30, 2014 9:02 am

pleb wrote:
UltimateBMWfan wrote:Everything should be fixed now...At least I hope so.

Looks good to me. :)

NOTE: I will be starting reviews in a few days as my laptop is STILL at HP having its hard drive replaced. They said 'no later than Tuesday (27th)', but that's HP for you! So if there isn't as many reviews as you would expect, blame HP. Obviously this doesn't mean no reviews at all, since we have UltimateBMWfan also writing reviews. Sorry for the inconvenience guys :(

Looking foward to the rest of the reviews! This will go great on automationhub.
- My harddrive crashed in my hp laptop awhile ago and i told them to shove thier replacement price up thier ass and put in my own WD hdd, my laptop has been nothing but a worthless piece of shit.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri May 30, 2014 9:06 am

Lucky for me, I've only had my laptop for 5 months so it's still under warranty. It is a bad thing though, that my hard drive failed after only 5 months of use. Also, I was notified by HP that my laptop will be back on the Isle of Man on Sunday, almost a full week later than they first said.

I don't think I'll buy from HP again, everyone I've talked to has said how crap HP is.
<<

johnnymart610

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Post Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 pm

utopian201 wrote:And on that note, fresh off the printing press!

Cars referred to are here (I've updated the post with the other cover to include links to the cars too):
Velocity Firehawk: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4135&p=35894#p35897
Lyka Allero: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4120&p=35718#p35716
Superturismo One: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4130#p35858
Mostri Pescado: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4044&p=34634#p34634

Thanks for putting my car on the cover!
Name of Car Company: Velocity Engineering
Owner of Company: johnnymart610
Website or Forum thread: Velocity Engineering FOR THE SPEED DEMON IN YOU
Established: 1964
Company ID: 1964610
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:51 am

1992 Centuari Knight
The 1992 Centuari Knight is a sporty luxury coupe designed for fun driving and cheap thrills. But how well does it serve it's purpose?

Performance ImageImageImageImage
Once we rip off the Knight's corrosion resistant steel armour, we can take a look at the rumbling beast that powers it. It is a 5.1L naturally aspirated V8 pushing out a rather underwhelming 264hp. But trust me, that's all the power you will ever need for a car of this size. The redline tops out at 6K, and it has a very reasonable power band across most of the rev range. It also keeps to a decent noise level if you want to creep out of your parents driveway late at night. The engine manages to run very smooth as well, which contributes to a very fun experience that is about as frightening as a pet goldfish. There are some downsides, however. It isn't a very responsive performer and so the engine can feel rather sluggish at times. Centuari have also taken a few cost-cutting measures in the form of cheap bottom end materials which is the reason for the slightly low rpm limit. The positives far outweigh the negatives though, the engine is cheap, smooth and has just the right amount of power although I would have
expected more from a 5.1L V8.

Long story short: It's a solid engine.

Ride Comfort ImageImageImage
Ride comfort is one of the Knight's weak points. The suspension is set up for cimplete stability during cornering, and the result is a very bumpy ride at low speeds. When the speed picks up however, things start to calm down a bit. It does a decent job of soaking up small bumps in the road, but anything more than that, and you will feel it clearly inside the cabin. The tyres are relatively low profile also, which adds to the bumpiness. The ride isn't unbearable though, and it becomes reasonably comfortable as a high speed cruiser. If your willing to sacrifice comfort for fun, then it's a reasonable trade off.

Handling ImageImageImageImage
Because of the stiff suspension setup, what the Knight loses in ride comfort, it makes up for in cornering. It generates a decent 1.04g cornering speed. Couple that with it's low weight, and it is a great little car to thrash round your local race track. It doesn't generate a great deal of downforce, however, and so it can understeer slightly under hard cornering. But that just adds to the fun.

Refinement ImageImageImage
Refinement is another downfall of the Knight. It's stiff suspension makes for an unforgiving ride, and its low profile tyres add to the discomfort. A high point of the Knight is its interior. The materials used are of decent quality, and it is quite a nice place to be. A lot of inside space is wasted, however, by the Knight being a 4-seater instead of a 2-seater. As a result, the interior is slightly cramped; especially in the back. The Knight also features rather aggressive rear brakes which can make slowing down a bit dodgy. Really should have done better for a car of this type.

Equipment ImageImageImage
The equipment levels in the Centuari Knight is somewhat underwhelming. It pretty much has all the standard equipment you would expect on a car: radio, A/C, electric windows and seats. But that's about it. Nothing more, nothing less. There isn't enough stuff inside to entertain even an impressionable child. Let alone a comfort-seeking driver. Expect to be disappointed when you climb into the inside of this car. The lack of equipment is well hidden by the leather trim.

Quality ImageImageImageImage
The Knight features a ladder chassis made from galvanised steel. This is a nice touch, and it helps the car achieve a lower center of gravity compared to that of a monocoque chassis. The quality of the materials used to craft the Knight are surprisingly average. I would have expected more high end, better quality materials from a luxury coupe. It is the pleasant leather interior, and nice feeling dashboard materials that grab the Knight a respectable 4 stars.

Reliability ImageImageImageImage
The engine in the Centuari Knight can stand up to years of abuse. Be wary of pushing it to the limit too much though, as the bottom end parts don't cope too well with regular thrashings. The interior stands up to regular use too, with the leather recieving very little wear over long-time use. There isn't much in the form of other problems either, since there isn't much electronic equipment to go wrong. A solid 4 stars for reliability.

Running Costs ImageImageImage
Although the Knight's engine lasts for a long time, it can be quite expensive to maintain. As can the body materials if you ever happen to hit anything. Don't expect catastrophically high repair bills though, the running costs are just about decent. Almost a 4 star.

Safety ImageImageImageImage
If you ever happen to crash, don't be worried in the slightest, because the Centuari Knight has got you covered. It has an adequate number of airbags, and good crumple zones. The chassis is strong enough to withstand small knocks effortlessly, as are the body panels. You can be assured that if you're a good enough driver, you shouldn't have to worry about getting injured, and you can drive easy.

OVERALLImageImageImageImage
For: Safe, Fun to drive, Cheap to produce
Against: Poor equipment, Uncomfortable

All things considered, the Centuari Knight is a good little car. It doesn't do a great job at being luxurious, but the coupe part is spot on. It's very fun to drive, and it's hard to fault its looks. If it's sitting there on your driveway, it will be hard to resist taking it for a run. For that, it just manages to scoop up 4 well deserved stars.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks pleb and the cheeseman review. that's about what I was aiming for, save for two parts, I was thinking 4 seats more like a 2+2 style coupe, ala the supra, 300zx and camaro iroc, good front seats and cramped child sized rears, but that wasn't a option in game. As for the power remember its 1992 America, the 4.9 mustang gt made 205hp and the 4.9 svt cobra made 225hp. The 5.0 camaro made 230 and the 5.7 made 245. Even the 5.7 corvette only had 300 So in terms of the year it was on the high end. I really liked the flavor of the review, this was definitely envisioned as a blue collar thrashmobile with delusions of grandeur :) for more info and a copy of the knight for yourself http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3684#p34943
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat