Car Reviewing

<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2007 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Ghia

Post Sun May 04, 2014 12:26 am

Car Reviewing

This is an idea I have come up with. You could say that the tameness, sportiness, comfort, prestige and safety factors give us a review of some sort on our cars, but it isn't a very accurate way of reviewing a car, it is more of an absolute value of some of the characteristics of the car. Therefore I decided I was going to attempt to do some car reviewing from the stats that are given from the engine or model creator.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
I put the data into separate categories for reviewing the car and give them certain percentages of the total score for that category. These categories are performance, ride comfort, handling, refinement, quality, reliability, running costs, safety and equipment. Each of these categories are worth a certain percentage of the total score for the car which depends on which class of car it falls under, for example, a sports car will concentrate on handling and performance as a majority percentage, whereas an economical city car will concentrate mainly on running costs and ease of use (a combination of pretty much everything). This gives an overall score which will be adjusted according to the rest of the scores for that category. If the best car's overall score is x, then this will be the 5 star car. If another car gets a bit less than this x, then it will be a 4 star car. This applies to all categories of the review. More than one car can have 5 stars.

ARE THERE ANY ISSUES WITH THE REVIEWING?
There are still categories to consider which we don't have much data for yet. Space & practicality is rather hard to evaluate at the moment. There is another category that could be added but I consider it unfair to add it because it is mainly down to personal opinion: styling. There are certain things you can do to review styling, such as work out if it is fitting for the class of car. Also the price of the car is yet to be added. This will not fall as a category but as something to consider as relative data. If a car was only a bit better but costs quite a bit more than another model falling under the same category, in theory it should be the cheaper, slightly worse car with the better review. If you feel there are ways I can improve the reviewing then feel free to let me know.

HOW CAN I SUBMIT MY CAR FOR A REVIEW?
Anybody can submit any car that is available to "buyers" in 2015 for a review simply by putting the model in a PM and sending it to me. Also, the first .zip you send is the one that counts. If you see it got a poor rating you can't resubmit a revised version of the car because it is too much work for me and is probably going to go unnoticed. Also, keep total costs below $150,000 and production units (total man hours) below 1500.

LIST OF CURRENT ACCEPTED ENTRIES
    - 2015 Mactori 197 GT-Stradale "Tourna" - [Completed]
    - 2013 Venisi Strada 2/6 - [Completed]
    - 2015 Daiki Minerve GT - [WIP TheTom]
    - 2015 BKOO Minivan Luxo - [WIP USDMFTW]
    - 2015 Mactori Glitz Limited
    - 2015 Hawker Ambassador Silver V8 Sport - [Cheeseman WIP]

The following post will be a review of an example small hatchback designed for the current day market.
Last edited by Cheeseman on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:03 am, edited 69 times in total.
<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun May 04, 2014 12:27 am

Re: Car Reviewing

LYSTEX AMATISTA 1.0
The Lystex Amatista is a supermini designed to rival the more premium models in this category such as the Audi A1 and Mini Cooper.

Amatista 1.0-1.png
Amatista 1.0-1.png (727.07 KiB) Viewed 13059 times
Amatista 1.0-2.png
Amatista 1.0-2.png (684.08 KiB) Viewed 13059 times

Performance ImageImageImageImage
The Lystex Amatista in this review pack a new 1.0-litre 4-cylinder engine producing 86.1 bhp @7400 rpm and 74.7 lb-ft @5100 rpm. This doesn't mean, however that you have to rev the engine in order to get good performance out of because of the engine's reasonably flat torque curve, giving nice smooth performance. The figures also mean that the car absolutely loves to rev, going all the way up to 7800 rpm, and it is pretty responsive to, with very little delay between putting your foot to the floor and accelerating. At low revs it can feel a bit gutless and overtaking maneuvers will require a downshift, but it is more than happy to cruise along at 70 mph along the motorways in top gear. The 0-62 mph sprint happens in a reasonably quick 11.4 seconds and the top speed is a shocking 124 mph, mainly down to the fact it has a very low drag coefficient.

Ride Comfort ImageImageImageImage
The Lystex Amatista is pretty good a being a comfortable cruiser. At high speeds the bumps and scars in the road are ironed almost completely by the suspension, giving this small car a much bigger feel to it on motorways, however the car can feel a little bit too soft at times when there is a big bump at high speed as it can begin to bounce a bit The 16" tyres aren't too big for a car of this size to cause major issues in ride comfort down to the profile of the tyres, however it can get to feel a little bit firm on poorly surfaced country roads and at low speeds in town, but never does it get uncomfortable or annoying. Taking that into consideration, it is quite pleasing that the ride isn't ruined by body roll around corners, because it also manages to remain reasonably flat around bends. It still leans a bit, but it isn't going to make your passengers feel queasy.

Handling ImageImageImageImage
Considering the good ride comfort, it also handles very well. The car grips well around corners, the steering is weighted correctly, the feedback that is given through the steering wheel is reasonable and it is quick to respond, however never does it feel as if it is sporty, partly down to the fact that the driver assists prevent you from taking it too far. Some can be deactivated at the touch of a button and the car can feel livelier, but still fails to completely accomplish the sporty feel. As we know, body roll is kept under control pretty well.

Refinement ImageImageImageImage
The Amatista is a very quiet small car, something that most struggle to achieve. You can only just about hear the engine ticking away at idle and at cruising speeds. The engine only really makes noise when you want it to and under hard acceleration. The wind and road noise are kept to very low levels on all surfaces at all speeds up to the national speed limit. At higher speeds you can hear a very slight amount of tyre rumble and the wind whistling around the car, but it never means you have to turn the radio up or raise your voice when having a conversation.

Equipment ImageImageImage
For a premium small car, it isn't very well equipped and could only be considered reasonable if it was a more affordable one. The amount of gadgets you get as standard is sufficient to get you from A to B in complete comfort and it isn't really missing anything important, but it is a premium small car and when it is classed like that you expect to get some extra goodies thrown in on top. Thankfully, there is a lot of safety tech.

Quality ImageImageImage
The interior quality of the Amatista is also a bit of a let down. The materials used in the interior aren't that special. In the higher up and more visible areas of the interior the plastics and other materials used look and feel rather nice, but never quite what you expect from a premium small car. When you get into the other areas though, they all become hard, scratchy, cheap and flimsy feeling plastics that would look more at home in the more affordable cars in this category. It does, however, all feel very well screwed together and looks as if it could support lots of abusive treatment.

Reliability ImageImageImageImage
Lystex have assured us that the 1.0-litre engine in the Amatista has been through vigorous testing over very long periods of time equivalent to many tens of thousands of miles on the road without any parts being replaced. The rest of the car, as mentioned previously, feels as if it was well put together and the few gadgets and other equipment there is to go wrong look as if they are also going to last well.

Running Costs ImageImageImageImage
Thanks to the low drag coefficient and small 1.0-litre engine, this car is capable of achieving 61 mpg and emit just 107 g/km of carbon dioxide, meaning a great fuel bill and low taxes. Expect to the insurance bill to be slightly higher than expected for a small 1.0-litre car due to the aluminium construction as well as any other repair bills you may face, but it shouldn't come to too much. Servicing the car does cost quite a fair amount though.

Safety ImageImageImageImage
The Lystex Amatista comes very well equipped with driver assists. As standard it comes with anti-lock brakes, traction control and electronic stability management, which helps to prevent you from coming to a sticky end in the event of sudden braking or needing to swerve. The car also comes with plenty of airbags to keep the occupants safe in the event of a crash, and the aluminium bodywork should do a good job at preventing there being too much damage. It does miss out on some of the more advanced safety equipment as standard, but it is more than enough.

OVERALL ImageImageImageImage
For: Cheap fuel bills, good ride comfort, good refinement.
Against: Poor interior quality, stingy equipment.

This car is a great all-rounder. It performs very well in many areas and does everything a supermini should do, yet it doesn't really live up entirely to the premium supermini name Lystex are giving it. It all depends now on how much it is going to cost before we can make a full verdict on whether it is worth it or not, but until then it is a highly recommendable small car.
Last edited by Cheeseman on Tue May 06, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: I have TWO Peugeots. Please feel sorry for me.

Post Sun May 04, 2014 2:01 am

I really like the sound of this idea, I think it could work well on AutomationHub. :)
<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun May 04, 2014 6:28 am

Well if Wizzy likes the idea he could add it then!

I will have the example review done some time tomorrow. Send us in your cars for reviewing!
<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon May 05, 2014 12:17 am

UPDATE: Example car review added :)
<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 am

MOSTRI PESCADO 1.2

Here is the first car sent in for reviewing (thanks Valleriani!), the Mostri Pescado 1.2. It is premium small MPV, something that doesn't really exist. So is this something worth considering?

Mostri Pescado N12-1.png
Mostri Pescado N12-1.png (742.12 KiB) Viewed 12998 times

Mostri Pescado N12-2.png
Mostri Pescado N12-2.png (711.62 KiB) Viewed 12998 times

The 1.2-litre engine in the Mostri Pescado produces 125 bhp @7100 rpm and 94.4 lb-ft @6700 rpm. Although this sounds as if the power is produced right at the top end it isn't true as the torque curve is reasonably flat. It does build up ever so gradually as the revs rise, but from the word go the engine produces. It does need to be revved in order to get the performance that Mostri claim for it but when you do, you'll be rewarded. It does require a downshift or two in order to make an overtaking maneuver, but in every other situation it has more than enough guts to keep it going. The engine is also a very smooth and responsive performer which adds to the wonderful fizzing performance. 0-62 mph happens in 10.5 seconds at the top speed is 124 mph. It does have one major issue which is the gearbox. The first few gears are too short and then the jump between the higher end gears is too much.

Ride Comfort ImageImageImage
The suspension of the Pescado is a pretty firm set-up. The ride can become quite crashy over poor surfaces at low speeds and could become tiresome and painful for some of those who suffer from back pain. As speed increases though the ride improves and, although it remains firm, it never becomes uncomfortable. Large bumps at higher speeds can be felt as a thud, but at least the suspension doesn't bounce about afterwards like some. Body lean, for a car like this, is kept incredibly well under control and appears to not lean making the trip for the little ones in the back just that bit better than what it would be if the only the firm suspension was taken into consideration.

Handling ImageImageImage
Considering the firm ride, the Pescado doesn't handle as well as you think it would do but it does cope pretty well for the category of car. The handling does have a little bit of a sporty feel to it thanks to the firm suspension, very little body roll and also the correctly weighted and responsive steering. It feels sporty right the way up to the moment when you start to go quickly round the bends when it begins to run out of grip and begins to understeer massively. It can't go around a bend to give it the full sporty feel at all, which I find rather disappointing.

Refinement ImageImageImage
The Pescado does a reasonable job at keeping exterior noises from being a nuisance in the cabin. The engine is reasonably quiet at idle and when cruising, and at speeds it just becomes a very faint rumble that you hardly notice. Wind and road noise can be heard at almost all speeds when speeds begin to build up it can become a bit vocal, especially road noise over rough surfaces, but it shouldn't cause you to raise your voice unless it really is a very bad surface.

Equipment ImageImageImageImageImage
The Pescado is crammed full of all the latest tech and all the other equipment that you would expect in a car like this. The premium badge can definitely be worn with pride on this car. Sat-nav, Bluetooth, climate control, cruise control and everything else you would find in a typical small MPV comes as standard in this car. No more to say

Quality ImageImageImageImageImage
If the Pescado was built with higher quality materials in the interior it would have to be considered a very short limo. The interior embarrasses some large German saloons in interior build quality with leather, metal and wood all put together in a wonderful manner and it feels absolutely wonderful. This extends throughout the entire area leaving no area untouched and cheap feeling. It is a wonderful car to sit in (which may be a bit of an issue with small children)

Reliability ImageImageImageImage
The Pescado has what appears to be a pretty solid build, so don't expect any parts of the car to start coming off or becoming worn. The engine has been through a lot of harsh testing and has required almost no repairs to it and anything in terms of servicing. There are a lot of electronics in the car and due to no record of the way these cars behave we are concerned as to how reliable they may be, but considering that this is a brand new car we reckon it will be fine.

Running Costs ImageImage
The Pescado is a massive let down when it comes to running costs. The 125 bhp is created by a tiny little 1.2-litre engine, yet somehow it is only capable of 39.2 mpg and emits 167 g/km of CO2, something seen nowadays in cars with twice the power. Insurance costs shouldn't be cheap either due to the massive amount of electronics in the car and the same goes for any repair bills. Any major issue with the electrics and you could be facing a very large bill, but, as mentioned, that hopefully shouldn't happen. The servicing costs aren't the best either.

Safety ImageImageImageImageImage
As expected considering the amount of tech, the Pescado comes crammed full of safety tech as well. Airbags all around the cabin, all the driver assists you will ever need and some pretty cool crash prevention systems all add up together to make a car that is almost impossible to crash and if you do, it is more than likely that you are going to walk out completely unharmed.

For: Masses of equipment, excellent build quality, safety, fun engine
Against: Poor fuel consumption, mediocre handling and ride

The Mostri Pescado is a bit of a mixed bunch. It was very nearly a 3-star car, but the areas where it shone, it shone brightly which managed to scrape it a 4-star rating. The premium name could almost be upgraded to luxury as the interior quality and equipment aren't far off luxury saloons. The engine is a wonder to use, but not very nice to keep running. The ride and handling could do with some tweaking and improving because it isn't as good as it could be, especially ride comfort which is more important when you are trying to make a high-end small MPV. Just need to find out how much it is going to cost before we make our final verdict. Good effort Mostri :)
Last edited by Cheeseman on Wed May 07, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 am

This is a really nice initiative, lots of work going into this :) Cheers!
<<

Valleriani

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 am

Thanks mate! Good review, gives me some insight on how the game works too since I'm still learning. Was fun doing it, will try another in the future ;)

I recommend people send in their cars for reviews!
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 am

Hah! This is awesome, I'd love to make an ingame system that generates reviews like this out of premade text. Will probably never happen though.

Cool stuff though, keep it up! :)
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 am

Even better, we already have this feature working for cars that get added to the carcompany. This is added on there! :D Just wait for it. Really like the idea of this though!
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

V10I10ilove10cyl

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Well I want a stag but I'm a few years off being able to even get a fiesta...

Post Wed May 07, 2014 7:51 am

Damn dude! You've struck good with this idea I'll make a car soon and send it in. May I ask what inspired you to do this though?
Danson Cars LTD promises to make cars that care for the future that we will live in. We promise performance without the guilt of killing the environment.
Coming soon:
The SLE 2.0 Turbo engine promising over 50mpg and Low emissions
The Kestrel Concept
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Wed May 07, 2014 10:33 pm

It is even more interesting if you read it in Jeremy Clarkson voice. XD
A truly great work Cheeseman!
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

8bs

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu May 08, 2014 1:17 am

This is a great idea!!

And if possible it was very cool to make a short test/comparison between 3 or 4 cars in the same platform, bodyshell, year, and engine!
<<

vmo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A undestructable Toyota with 1ZR FAE engine, Honda Civic VTi EG6, Mazda RX7 fc

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:15 am

Anyone can make a review of my car, please?

Thanks.
Last edited by vmo on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Company: Montes Cars
Company ID: 1940001
Visit the brand models http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3995
In AutomationHub.net: http://www.automationhub.net/company-ca ... mpanyID=18
My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/1MtRpd
<<

Cheeseman

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu May 08, 2014 4:05 am

1992 COSSACK C1800
The 1992 Cossack C1800 is a cheap small sports coupe designed to rival other early 90s coupes such as the Volkswagen Corrado and the Opel Calibra

Cossack  1992 C1800-1.png
Cossack 1992 C1800-1.png (729.27 KiB) Viewed 7849 times

The Cossack C1800 has a sporty 1.8-litre 4 cylinder engine sending power to the front wheels. The engine produces 137 bhp @ 6600 rpm and 126 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm, which is more than enough power to send this 1000 kg car flying along quite briskly. It is no more powerful than its typical rivals, but thanks to the added lightness it does have an extra ability to get a move on. The engine is pretty smooth and responsive, but it could be a bit better and there is a little delay between foot to the floor and acceleration. The car has more than enough oomph at all but very low revs to keep it cruising briskly and overtake with no problems. The gearbox isn't the sportiest feeling in the world, but the gears are spaced correctly and the engine doesn't rev as much as some sports cars only managing to get to 6600 rpm, but that does mean that best performance is in the top end which definitely makes the car feel sportier. The 0-62 mph sprint is covered in just 8.2 seconds and top speed is 137 mph.

Ride Comfort ImageImageImageImage
The Cossack is a sports car but it does have a rather pleasing ride. The suspension up front is a rather soft setup and the rear is quite a bit firmer but in almost situation the suspension behaves very well. At low speeds the firm rear suspension can be felt, especially by those who are sitting in the rear of the car. The rear can get a little bit jiggly over low speed bumps, whereas the front suspension does a good job at soaking them up. At higher speeds the firm rear suspension doesn't cause any more troubles and the front suspension continues to do a great job. The front suspension can get a little bit bouncy after going over larger bumps at higher speeds and takes a bit longer than it should to settle down. The body roll is kept well under control, as expected.

Handling ImageImageImageImage
As expected, the C1800 handles like a sports car should. The soft front suspension doesn't seem to have affected the way the car handles much and the firmer rear suspension is just great. The Cossack C1800 has bags of grip and only when you push it a lot does it begin to understeer, but the speeds at which it will be travelling around corners before this happens is more than enough to put a smile on your face. The steering setup is good and the feel, weight and response is just right giving you extra confidence in the car when taking it round some corners. This confidence is boosted by the previously mentioned lack of roll when cornering. The lack of traction aids can reduce your confidence somewhat but adds more to the sporty feel. It is a bit of a shame that it is FWD, but for a car with power heading to those wheels it certainly is a cracker.

Refinement ImageImage
One area where the C1800 doesn't impress is the refinement. The engine is a nice sounding engine and under acceleration it fills the cabin with a fruity and sporty sounding 4-cylinder not, but when you want to just cruise along the engine can be constantly heard and can become annoying quite quickly. The insulation from other noises isn't particularly good either. From not particularly high speeds the tyre and wind noise starts to intrude into the cabin and once you are up to motorway speeds it can become rather vocal and may require you to raise your voice if you are having a conversation or increasing the volume of the music you are listening to, however it isn't unbearable.

Equipment ImageImage
This is considered a budget small sports car and we weren't expecting much equipment, and what we got was actually a bit less than what was expected. The cabin inside is pretty bare on the inside from the lack of equipment. The equipment levels is something you expect more in a budget small car, not a sports car. The basics that do come with the car do make journeys a bit better than if they weren't there whatsoever.

Quality ImageImageImage
Although there is a lack of equipment and the cabin is really rather bare, the quality of the interior, especially considering that this is a cheap car, is actually quite good. The interior plastics aren't the poshest, but they are reasonable enough for a car like this. In the higher up parts of the cabin the plastics are rather appealing, but lower down they do become rather cheap, scratchy and flimsy looking and feeling.

Reliability ImageImageImageImageImage
The 1.8-litre engine in the Cossack C1800 has been through a lot of testing and it didn't require any repairs and basically no servicing was required. It seems to have pretty much bulletproof reliability. The very few electronics that there are to go wrong seem to be alright, and even if they do wear out and go wrong, they shouldn't affect the way the car is at all. Any repair bills will probably only costs peanuts too.

Running Costs ImageImageImageImageImage
This car also costs absolute peanuts to run. The engine consumes fuel miles better than its rivals. The 1.8-litre engine sports car manages 42.3 mpg and emits just 155 g/km of carbon dioxide. Compare this to the 2.0-litre Volkswagen Corrado's 23 mpg and 260 g/km of carbon dioxide and it only makes sense to own this car and not the Corrado. The insurance bill should also be rather inexpensive as well considering that in the event of having a crash there isn't exactly many things that will need repairing and there are no expensive parts. Servicing, however, does cost quite a lot.

Safety ImageImage
One thing I recommend to you is that you don't crash this car badly. There is hardly anything in terms of safety aids, so if you need to brake hard you will just lock up or if you need to swerve the car will most likely loose traction a spin off into a hedge. If you do have a crash as well there isn't much in terms of safety equipment. There are some basics that will keep you from getting very badly injured, but if you have any high speed crash and you will probably be in a bad state.

For: Cheap fuel bills, sporty drive, good ride, bulletproof reliability
Against: Stingy equipment, poor safety and refinement.

The Cossack C1800 is a decent cheap sports car. Due to its multiple poor ratings it was very close to a 3-star rating, but there were some areas where it fit the bill perfectly. The car performed well where it should and that is what matters when it comes to making a car. All we need to know now is how affordable the car is going to be before we can complete the verdict.

THE NOT A REVIEW BIT

8bs wrote:And if possible it was very cool to make a short test/comparison between 3 or 4 cars in the same platform, bodyshell, year, and engine!

Nice idea. I shall try to implement this once I have enough cars to do it with :)

vmo wrote:Anyone can make a review of my car, please?

Only I will be able to do the review as I am the only one with the "formula". I will do your one as soon as I possibly can. Expect it to be done some time tomorrow at the earliest
Next

Return to General Chat