FAQ  •  Login

Big Update Feedback (B151208+)

<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:57 am

Big Update Feedback (B151208+)

This is the general feedback thread for the latest big update now out on both Steam and for the Standalone launcher.

How do the balance changes play out? Do you see any new balancing issues? How do you see the new features and other changes?

Thanks and enjoy,
Cheers!

---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---

Open Beta B151127

Main Features
  • Added Engineering Time
  • Added V12 Engines
  • Added Tooling Costs
  • Added Pushrod Suspensions
  • All New Track Calculations
  • Added Car Bodies & Variants
Major Balance Changes
  • Revamped tire size vs. grip model and stat effects
  • Regions affect footprint, practicality, and safety %
  • Rebalanced fuel system stats
  • Rebalanced all brake related stats
  • Changed many part unlock years
  • Rebalanced utility and offroad dependencies
  • Rebalanced all car & "General" engine scenarios
Other Changes
  • Rebalanced gearbox types, gears, and gearing effects
  • Penalize very tall first gears
  • Penalize too slow acceleration
  • Rebalanced market demographics
  • Rebalanced ride height effects
  • Rebalanced solid axles
  • Rebalanced suspension effect on load
  • Rebalanced seats vs. cargo & passenger space
  • Rebalanced comfort effect of entertainment
  • Rebalanced safety packages progression
  • Engine bay squeeze factor now affects service costs
  • Changed Al engine block and head effects
  • Smoothness effect from Mg engine blocks
  • Rebalanced mid-/rear-engine cooling
  • Rebalanced economy calculations for idle RPM
  • Rebalanced offroad skidpad weight
  • Added blow-off, backfire and exhaust burble sounds
  • Added turbo sounds to test track
...plus plenty of small fixes and additions.

---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---oooOOÖOOooo---
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Re: Big Update Feedback (B151208+)

I had this problem in the open beta and the latest update still has this bug...

$0 for running costs!!!

2015-12-09_00001.jpg
2015-12-09_00001.jpg (375.81 KiB) Viewed 11978 times

Here is the car for analysis...

High_Octane_Love - A1 Mouse.zip
(88.24 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:52 pm

I think all the scenarios might need to be double checked. Sorry if this is not the correct thread, let me know...

1. Automatic For The People
Since the fuel data redesign, the engine now detonates, and in that tutorial, the engine cannot be changed by the player. It didn't before, and it raises the difficulty.
Also, I get this error,
tolua++ dbcall failed!: [string
"--SANDBOX_DATA\CCarCalculator_Production.lua..."]:79: attempt to perform
arithmetic on field 'EngineeringCosts' (a nil value)
<---Sorry, I had to type that, CTRL+C does nothing. Hope I got it right.
...whenever I go from ENGINE to TRIM screens. It's a non-fatal error, but it bugs the next screens for me.

2. Clark's Son's Tuning
As soon as you get to the first tab of the TRIM screen, the first tab you actually are able to change anything, you automatically win the scenario. It also gave me a Lua error, but now when I just went back, it didn't happen... Hm.....

3. Umm.. The third one, Bogan's something... I'm playing it now as the error came up. Here goes.
Step() failed!: [string
"--client\functional\TrimDesignWindowDelegat..."]:338: attempt to
index field 'Tameness' (a nil value)

FWIW, I'm using a 3"x3" V12 w/four eco 1bbls and cats... Left the ENGINE screen fine, but gave an error when I was adjusting the final drive ratio. It gives the same error again and again when ever any adjustments are made afterward, or tabs are changed...

No offense, but I don't feel like playing anymore tonight, everything I try to do tonight has given me errors. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
I believe in you devs, Automation is worth every penny twice over, but maybe this version was underdone?
I'm going to go play Dirt Rally until things come together a bit better.
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 13 Nissan Pathfinder
99 Nissan Frontier
84 Jeep CJ7 (rock crawler)

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:05 pm

I have been having problems getting the stickpins for the markets to stay with what I want.
Desert Mountains Automotive Specializing in high reliability cars and trucks for more demanding needs.
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:34 pm

The ehm "not porsche 356" body - I can't change it's shape at all on the coupe version, the cabrio works just fine. Every time I point my mouse at it it highlights the whole body.
I hope it's the right topic.
<<

Deskyx

Cars: I wish

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:54 pm

The new track calculations have made my STi rip off only 2 seconds slower than a Pagani Huayra on the test track.

Of course I am very thankful for the new features, and yes the track times before were kinda slow, they are abit too fast now. Also it takes forever now to calculate track times for longer tracks.

Aside from that and a few bugs, the update is great.
<<

Killrob

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:49 am

ArnRno wrote:I think all the scenarios might need to be double checked. Sorry if this is not the correct thread, let me know...

1. Automatic For The People
Since the fuel data redesign, the engine now detonates, and in that tutorial, the engine cannot be changed by the player. It didn't before, and it raises the difficulty.
Also, I get this error,
tolua++ dbcall failed!: [string
"--SANDBOX_DATA\CCarCalculator_Production.lua..."]:79: attempt to perform
arithmetic on field 'EngineeringCosts' (a nil value)
<---Sorry, I had to type that, CTRL+C does nothing. Hope I got it right.
...whenever I go from ENGINE to TRIM screens. It's a non-fatal error, but it bugs the next screens for me.

2. Clark's Son's Tuning
As soon as you get to the first tab of the TRIM screen, the first tab you actually are able to change anything, you automatically win the scenario. It also gave me a Lua error, but now when I just went back, it didn't happen... Hm.....

3. Umm.. The third one, Bogan's something... I'm playing it now as the error came up. Here goes.
Step() failed!: [string
"--client\functional\TrimDesignWindowDelegat..."]:338: attempt to
index field 'Tameness' (a nil value)

FWIW, I'm using a 3"x3" V12 w/four eco 1bbls and cats... Left the ENGINE screen fine, but gave an error when I was adjusting the final drive ratio. It gives the same error again and again when ever any adjustments are made afterward, or tabs are changed...

No offense, but I don't feel like playing anymore tonight, everything I try to do tonight has given me errors. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
I believe in you devs, Automation is worth every penny twice over, but maybe this version was underdone?
I'm going to go play Dirt Rally until things come together a bit better.

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying this new version as much as you would want to, but I fully disagree with the sentiment that it is "underdone". I'm rather proud of how much we got done in just 7 weeks of development.

Let me address the issues above: I can't reproduce a single one of them on my public build test version here at home, so I think what might be going on is that you have old scenario saves lying around which the game tries to pick up? The type of errors would indicate that. The engine knocking in the first scenario is deliberate, it is the tiniest of knocks and that is actually the best setting for this engine tune. It doesn't harm it, it is balanced with that in mind.

So please try to go to your Documents\My Games\Automation\Scenarios and delete all car tutorial files. Then try to reproduce your errors once more. If you also don't get them then, the bug is that Automation reads old save files when it should not.
<<

Killrob

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:51 am

Deskyx wrote:The new track calculations have made my STi rip off only 2 seconds slower than a Pagani Huayra on the test track.

Of course I am very thankful for the new features, and yes the track times before were kinda slow, they are abit too fast now. Also it takes forever now to calculate track times for longer tracks.

Aside from that and a few bugs, the update is great.

So how much quicker is your car than you'd think it should be? We might still need to drop cornering Gs a little :)

squidhead wrote:The ehm "not porsche 356" body - I can't change it's shape at all on the coupe version, the cabrio works just fine. Every time I point my mouse at it it highlights the whole body.
I hope it's the right topic.

Whoops! We'll fix that :) thanks for pointing out.
<<

ArnRno

1962 Super 88

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:10 am

@Killrob

Wow, I feel silly for not realizing the knock should be there, my mistake - I think saw it say the car req'd 87.5 octane, and since I'm so used to 86.5, in my head it was a full ten points above... but if you wrote it for 87.4 TEL, then it's only one point off. Awesome. Also, I will try to see if I can find some old Scenario saves when I'm done at work, I wonder if it could be so simple, thanks.

Hope I didn't offend you and the team with my comment there, for some reason I'm just not digging the latest build - little things like audio, and some other bugs on the track/ engine screens, but maybe it's mostly in my head. I'll agree with deskyx on his point, though - either the cars are all a bit too fast, or I'm a lot better at building cars than I thought. Or maybe the test driver is just very enthusiastic. Cheers.
<<

Killrob

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 am

No worries ArnRno, offense is never given, only taken - if I'm offended that's my problem, not yours. :P

If you can point to the bugs in audio and such, then please do. Sure things are not perfect, but if we ever want to see a finished game making things perfect is never the best option ;)
<<

ArnRno

1962 Super 88

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:38 am

I've had a couple audio hiccups here and there, but they never popped a Lua error - if I catch one again, I'll try to send the car/engine. I have noticed that with any of my builds, if I'm on the test track (I only ever seem to use the TG one) and the clock is running, and I try to switch to between the two tabs... um, the one with gauge and telem, and the one with just section/track times.... if I switch between them it'll often stop the car from running, especially in the first few seconds of the run. Also, if I go from the test tracks to the details screens (Drivability, Running Costs, etc.) while the car is in the middle of a run, the car noises in the background still run, like you can here the car still making it's way around the track until you switch tabs again. So far, that's with any car build I have tried, new or old. Aside from that, no real audio bugs, but the track noises are... something is just odd about the shifting sounds on a manual box to me, I'm not sure if they changed or it's me. The backfire sound those is just odd for me on the track, it sounds sort of hollow, wooden - like someone dropped a two-by-four... Anything else I bring you, I'll try to have a file to show, or a really good description.
<<

Killrob

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah, the backfire sound is one of the old crappy sounds that has reverb inbuilt. We will get that sorted next time we order new sounds. Shifting is more realistic now than before, the new track calculations mean a whole lot of changes and no, nothing in that regard is perfect. Then again, has it ever been that? :P definitely not! You probably know the saying "the last 10% take 90% of the time", and for some of these non-core features of the game we just don't want to invest those extra 90% of our time to make it perfect, because that would mean the game is never finished. :)
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:58 pm

***UPDATE***

I have narrowed down the $0 running costs issues and it's confined to the original small car (based on a Morris, I think)

It happens on all carburettor types (I initially suspected the new eco carb) and the ute body has practicality and utility calculation issues as well...

A1 Mouse - Farmhand (Ute)-3.png
A1 Mouse - Farmhand (Ute)-3.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 11911 times

A1 Mouse - Farmhand (Ute)-2.png
A1 Mouse - Farmhand (Ute)-2.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 11911 times

Here is the data file with all the variants I made and I have verified my Automation files before building this car :D

High_Octane_Love - A1 Mouse.zip
(146.61 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

BrockWalls

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Wow, I just realized that the update numbers are the launch date .-.
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:33 am

BrockWalls wrote:Wow, I just realized that the update numbers are the launch date .-.

*doubletakes*
Next

Return to General Chat